1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think someone is stealing my bandwidth pls help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cardlady47, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardlady47

cardlady47 Thread Starter

I recently allowed what I thought was a friend to help me set up new security on my network. In my network are 2 desktop PCs, 2 Dell wireless laptops, and 1 MAC Book Pro wireless. This person is located in England. She asked me since I don't use the one desktop very much could she tap in and use for some kind of Freenet type thing. I told her no I didn't want her to do it. I have now started to shut off my computer at night (it was running 24/7)but it seems it is taking a long time for it to do things now on the internet. It is a brand new Dell Studio 7100 with 6 Gigs of memory and 1 T harddrive.
    Is there a way of my finding out if someone is tapping into my network. I have gone into the Verizon Network of mine which is where we changed the settings. It now looks like there are other devices active and enabled for remote access.
    Can anyone help me. She is also very spiteful and I am afraid that if I wrongfully accuse her that she can really screw up my computer. She is a very qualified hacker and also very knowledeable on these type things.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable remote access to the router (unless you use that feature) and change the login password.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice