1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think this graphics card is broken

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mullan, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mullan

Mullan Thread Starter

Not long before christmas i bought a sapphire radeon 9600xt from Novatech.co.uk. When i fitted the card and booted the computer, the graphics were corrupted, the white text was a bit mangled and the windows logo had green lines through it. After i logged on, the pc looked fine, but whenever i install the drivers most of windows is all purple and glitchy looking, and games are unplayable because the entire screen is covered in purple artifacts. Is this card broken or is there some sort of problem with my system?

My system specs are:
    athlonxp 2400+
    FIC am39l motherboard
    Geforce FX5700le (current graphics card)
    Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit edition
    512MB RAM

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

If your G force worked, then I would say as long as you cleaned out your old drivers for the old vid card then installed new drivers for your new vid card -reboot and it is still not right = bad new vid card. You seem to have went from Nvidia vid card to ATI and you must clean out the old drivers as they do not play well with each other.

3. majorshake

majorshake

i have a problem with my graphics card. i have

amd athlon xp 1200
    i dunno what mobo
    onboard graphics
    512mb ram

a friend got a new graphics card and gave me his old geforce 2. i did check to see if the card is compatable with my mobo, and it is. i then plugged it into my pc like a n00b and attached monitor wire to it and booted up. i did not take any static precautions or do anything with the bios. after the computer turned on everything worked fine and i installed the driver that came with it. the only problem that i noticed then was that my desktop background was all white. and i could not get a background. then every now and then my computer would freeze, or the mouse would freeze. then one day after rebooting the computer screen stayed black, and made very many beeping noises from inside the case. the fans turned on, the disk powered up, however no picture, and alot of beeping. i then just unplugged the monitor cord and put it back into the mobo and everything worked fine. i still cant get the card to work. and now i cant play any games because onboard blows. any help or anything would be appreciated.

4. Mullan

Mullan Thread Starter

I made sure to completely uninstall Nvidia drivers but i dont think this is a driver problem because even the POST has graphical glitches

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Same answer,did you clean out the old drivers? Also please do not post in someone else's thread with your problem as out of kindness they want their answer not anyone else's.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Mullan,go back to your old vid card and if it works with the correct drivers then come back with all your computer specs. What OS ?

7. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Does this look familiar to you? From the sounds of your problem, I assume it does. I have a Radeon 9800XT which I think has died on me now after two years. Dell is sending a technician over to my house to replace the card for me next week free of charge.

I'm betting bad card, but make sure in your case that you've cleaned out all the drivers for the old card first.

If your problem looks like this, then I think we're in the same boat, and I hope that my new card will fix it. I had to crop the second image in half because the .jpg is too big, but you get the point.

The third pic is a makeshift image that I made of what the POST looked like one time.

Attached Files:

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

May I ask what Dell system came with a 9800xt?

9. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

That would be my Dell Dimension XPS Gen2 system that I purchased in January 2004.

10. Mullan

Mullan Thread Starter

8dalejr.fan that is almost identical to what im getting. The fact that you have a dell system gives me a bit of hope because it couldnt be a hardware compatibility problem.

My old card works fine im using it right now, and my OS is Windows XP professional SP2

11. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

You probably got a lemon card. :p

Yeah, it's probably no good. I'd try and return/ exchange it if you can. Nothing you can do about a dud card.

12. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Cool is that stock equip. as one of my children runs an ASUS 9800XT on their Dell 4550.

13. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I customized my XPS when I bought it online, so I threw in the best video card at that time, which happened to be the 9800XT which was introduced a couple weeks prior to me ordering it. Hefty price, but I think it was worth it- up until now, but hey I'm having it delivered to my doorstep and replaced for me. That's a pretty sweet deal, IMO.

A 9800XT is a 9800XT, so I assume that's what your kid runs.

14. silvershield

silvershield

This sort of thing happens to me when I overclock too much... Have you tried turning overclocking off, then finding the maximum clock/memory speed, and then going down about 10 MHZ? (you can find the max stable clock/memory speed by downloading an artifact detector, and then overclocking until there are errors detected. [ guru3d.com ]

Compaq Presario 3200+
    AMD Sempron 1.8 GHZ
    80 GB Seagate HDD
    256 DDR SDRAM
    NVIDIA Geforce MX 4000 128 MB

15. silvershield

silvershield

Does the computer lock up after you see the corrupted image?? if so, this is most likely due to either overclocking too far, or heating problems. You can easily solve the heating issues by downlading SpeedFan ( http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) The overclocking, you can change the clock speeds by downloading RivaTuner from guru3d.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice