1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I thought Firefox was my default browser...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Rainer511, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rainer511

Rainer511 Thread Starter

Then how come my Microsoft applications only open links in Internet Explorer?

I'm hating Microsoft more and more as I explore the... wonders... of Vista.

2. Rainer511

Rainer511 Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to include a question in my complaint.

Is there any way to make Microsoft applications treat Firefox as the default browser?

Thanks

3. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

Certain applications have been this way for some time. I remember Valve Software's Steam platform would launch all links in IE cuz it was coded that way; it ignored the user's default browser selection. They have since fixed it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has links from their programs launch in IE.

4. downtime

downtime

On my machine, Firefox just isn't listed in default programs. Go figure. So, open Firefox, go to a web page, and click file, save page as, save it to your desktop, then close Firefox. Right click on the saved file and choose open with, browse to Firefox in program files, choose Firefox.exe, and make sure the box below, "always open with" is checked. Even though this still won't add firefox to the default program list, it will use firefox to open any url that isn't specifically coded to use IE. I see more and more sites on the internet that Firefox just won't work on, you gotta complain or it just won't change. Andy Warhol said "They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself". I guess Bill is a Warhol fan.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Pretty sure it is in Vista. Not in the application or in the web site.

On the same computer, with the same version of Office, both with Firefox set as the default for html files, links from Outlook with Vista only open in IE. They open to Firefox as configured with XP. Still haven't found a way around this with Vista.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Figured it out. It is in Vista and a slightly different way of setting the program defaults.

Go to the Control Panel \ Programs \ Default Programs
    Set your default programs
    Select Firefox
    Choose defaults for this program
    Under Protocols, check HTTP
    Click on Save

Since Firefox was already set to the default, that was the only change needed. But you can also check .htm and .html as well

Let me know if this solves it for you as well.

7. Rainer511

Rainer511 Thread Starter

Firefox isn't listed there.

It is installed.

But its just not listed as a program in "Set your default programs".

That could do the trick...

...can you think of any reason why it wouldn't show up?

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Didn't do any trick on my computer. That's how I tested it.

Try installing Firefox as an admin (right click on the install executable. Then select Run as administrator.

9. Rainer511

Rainer511 Thread Starter

So let me get this straight... if I don't select "Run as administrator" when logged into an Administrator account.... the program wont have full access to me computer?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Don't recall saying that. Just responding to the question you asked - "can you think of any reason why it wouldn't show up?"

11. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Open START. At the top you will see, in the separate window, "Default programs" Enter there and you will find the options to make Firefox, or any other, your default.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

This can bring you to exactly the same place mentioned earlier where Firefox is not showing up.

Do you see it in the list from Control Panel \ Programs and Features?

13. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Woops, I didn't read page 2. Rainier has got to have an install fault. I would suggest a reinstall and try the default program procedure again. Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox - yours has not registered in the Windows registry.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. That's why I suggested "Try installing Firefox as an admin (right click on the install executable. Then select Run as administrator."

15. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You have to be running Firefox as administrator to make it the default. Once that is done it should be OK to run it normally.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!