I thought I did a simple thing for a friend

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mr_Cat_Poop

I replaced an Intell pentium I cpu 75 mhz with an Intell pentium cpu 166 mhz...

nothing happens when I power up except a black screen.
this was on a NEC Ready 7022 tower type computer...

what didn't I do right?

It should work if the motherboard supports it. You will need to change the basic clock speed to 66 and the multiplyer to 2.5

If the new CPU has MMX you need to add a VRM if your motherboard doesn't have the required voltage. follow what Lurker1 posted and it should come up fine.

Mr_Cat_Poop

i took your advice guys and the machine is working at the new speed, however i also installed a Modem Blaster v92 pci

i cant get it to work

when the pc powers on at the end of the info screen it says:

3F8h COM address conflict

any ideas to what is wrong?

mcpoop

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The easiest thing to try first is to move it to a different PCI slot, if that is an option.

Go into bios and disable com 2. That will eliminate the address conflict.

Hi again

Actually 3F8 is the com1 port. If you are not using the com1 port for a mouse (serial connection) go into the system bios and turn it off.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online