1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I thougt it was a bit more simple....

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by number, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number

number Thread Starter

Since I've installed Suse 9.1 I'm trying to understand simple operations which seems impossible to find in any user guide I was reading.
    For example, they tell me to configure the modem manually, but how??? First I read that I can do it through YaST, I reached the point in which it starts automatically to do the DSL configuration but then I got the message (always in YaST) that there are no DSL devices to configure... of course, the driver of my modem are in a cd rom and so far I'm still not able to open an exe file from a cd rom!!
    Going back to configure the modem with YaST, in the ppp mode, I don't know if I have to put: ppp over ethernet, ppp over ATM, CAPI for ADSL or point to point tunneling protocol...
    ....put the ppp, VCI,VPI, then somewhere else I read that in order to use that specific modem I have to compile the kernel?! I saw a couple of websites where they explain how to complile the kernel and make my modem work for the DSL but I didn't understand anything...
    My modem is a BEWAN ADSL USB.
    Does anyone know where should I start?
    I've studied the user guide included in the CD rom of suse, and there is NOTHING, I went in some other message boards, NOTHING, I went in some linux website, NOTHING....
    I really don't want to go back to windows, but it seems so damn hard!

2. number

number Thread Starter

... forgotten,
    In particular, in order to use my DSL modem, I understood that I have to do the following "simple" steps:

1)configure and compile a kernel which would support the USB and ATM
    2)I have to patch and install the drivers and the specific utilities which I can find in the bewan website
    3) Install and configure a version of pppd able to manage the protocol ATM and connect to the web.

...piece of cake... unfortunately I don't know the meaning of none of the above :-(

3. number

number Thread Starter

Ok I know that my questions are difficult, then at least, could anyone suggest me which distribution of Linux is better for a newbie: Red Hat or Suse?
    thank you!

4. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

Number, if you purchased SuSE 9.1 then you had a "live" testing cd in the box, right? Did you try that out before doing an install? Were you able to go online with it?

5. number

number Thread Starter

I purchased the suse 9.1 in a magazine and I don't know what is a "live" testing, I don't think there is one. I have installed suse 9.1 and it works fine, with the partition with windows, but in ordert to go on line is it so difficult in general?
    So, in general, am I supposed to re-compile the kernel on the basis of a specific adsl modem in order to use my adsl connection??
    thanks

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

No it shouldn't be that difficult to get online, but through choices made, it has become difficult. USB is great, but it is still not so great that it natively supports every gadget that some company wants to create. So, having a device that connects via USB, but isn't able to work with just the standard USB drivers built into Linux or Windows, means that device needs drivers installed to be able to run. Under linux, if the device isn't extremely popular, that means having to compile the drivers. It still may be possible to find binaries that have been compiled that will work with your linux installation, but you'll have to search for them.

I don't know whether you have to recompile the kernel, but I would hope not.

You will need to go to this site to download the linux drivers for this modem. There are probably detailed instructions for you to follow somewhere, just be patient and follow them.

Linux expects you to be patient and willing to learn.

7. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

Ah, ok. I purchased SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition from CompUSA, this set has both an install CD and a "live" CD that you can use to experiment with Linux without doing an install. I was lucky, SuSE detected and was able to work with my LAN card and get me on the internet.

Part of the problem is that you're thinking in Windows terms. You're not going to be able to use .exe files with Linux very easily, I believe it can be done but the usual for Linux is to go to various Linux sites for your needs or, in the case of major manufacturers, download the Linux version of your drivers, programs, etc.

SuSE is really one of the better Linux distributions, I wouldn't change if I were you, but I would invest in some generic Linux books and magazines that will teach you basics of file structure, command line, etc.

The advertising that you might read about Linux being ready for the desktop is rather overblown; for the computer geek, perhaps it is; for the layman who just knows the basics of Windows, it is definitely not. To put it in terms easily understood: Windows is a luxury car that comes out of the factory ready to drive, with simple controls and intuitive interface; Linux is a kit car designed to be built by the car tinkerer, someone who understands cars thoroughly and can fix the underlying problems he encounters. For the non-geek, Linux takes a huge investment in learning, even if the cost of it is less than Windows.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice