1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I tried to upgrade my CPU and I cant tell if I'm stupid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skreen3, Apr 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Skreen3

Skreen3 Thread Starter

I recently decided to invest in a better processor for my PC so I did some research on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3) and found it supports both 6th and 7th gen CPU's. I was already using an Intel i3-6100, so I purchased an Intel i7-7700k. Now I get no video signal and my CPU fan spins continuously faster and louder the longer its powered on. My i3 still works when I swap them out and everything continues normally.

Now please make me feel so ridiculously stupid and tell me there is some simple aspect I overlooked.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. Skreen3

Skreen3 Thread Starter

Just re-read through everything on the manufacturer site, and I'm going to try updating the bios because I'm dumb and forgot to

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

There doesn't appear to be an Intel Core i3-6100K processor, so I'm going to assume you made a typo and actually have an Intel Core i3-6100 processor.
    There is an Intel Core i7-7700K processor, and it's a vastly faster performer.

According to the support site for the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 motherboard, this is its list of supported Intel 6th and 7th generation processors.
    As you have already confirmed, the Intel Core i3-6100 and Intel Core i7-7700K processors are both supported.

According to the processor support list, the Intel Core i3-6100 processor requires BIOS F3, but the Intel Core i7-7700K processor requires BIOS F20.
    BIOS F22f is available, and it addresses processor compatibility, so you should update it.
    It's my guess the Intel Core i7-7700K processor won't work until the BIOS is updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Skreen3 likes this.
  4. Skreen3

Skreen3 Thread Starter

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I feel I can ask this.
    I have never updated my BIOS before, and I do not know much about it. I have a completely empty flash drive and I know I need f22, but I am not sure where to find f22.
    My Current BIOS version is: American Megatrends Inc. F6
    I have searched the AMI website and I cannot for the life of me find anything I am sure of.

You have already helped me significantly and I greatly appreciate your help :D

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here in your motherboard's support site.
    Scroll down to BIOS(+9), then click it to expand the list.
    BIOS version F22f will be at the top of the list.
    Click on one of the 4 geographic locations to download the update from.
    Download and save that .ZIP file inside an empty folder in your computer.
    After that's done, close all open browser and other windows.
    Extract the contents of that .ZIP into that same folder.
    These 3 files will appear:
    Capture.JPG

I'm not sure what to do with those 3 files and how to update the BIOS with them, so I've requested crjdriver to jump in.
    He's one of our hardware/system builder experts here, so be patient until he replies.
    I'm shutting down for the rest of the day, so I'll check back here tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Updating the bios on a gigabyte board is pretty easy AND not as risky as other boards. Gigabyte has the dual bios SO if you mess it up, the backup bios kicks in.
    To update the bios;
    1 Download the relevant file and place it on the root of a FAT32 formatted usb drive. Note the bios file you download is in zip format so you must extract the file. Place only the bios itself ie Z170hd3.22f or whatever bios you download on the root of the usb
    2 Place the usb you made in a usb port and restart the computer. During POST, hit the del key and enter the bios. Once in the bios, you should see a menu hit the F8 key to access Qflash [which is the bios updating tool built into the bios]
    3 Follow the prompts to update the bios

I never use a windows based flashing utility for any motherboard. I much prefer the built in bios tool. This completely removes windows from the task.

I did notice that your bios file has a suffix. Generally on a gigabyte board, when you see something like 17C or whatever, that is a beta bios. The normal bios will have no suffix however on your board, it does not state that this is a beta bios so it should be fine to use. Most of the time I recommend against using a beta bios unless it is necessary.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. Be sure and install the correct hsf or cooler. Do not attempt to reuse your original cooler. The 7700k draws almost twice the pw of your original processor; you must use a cooler rated to cool that processor. I do not think the 7700k comes with a cooler so be sure and purchase a quality hsf or cooler. For air cooling, I use and recommend the coolermaster 212 type coolers. Not the easiest things to install however their performance is excellent. I use one on my intel 7600k [overclocked to 4.5gig] Keeps the processor at a decent temp while stress testing.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Skreen3:

crjdriver has jumped in, so you're in good hands. (y)

Please advise us if you were able to successfully update the BIOS and switch to the faster processor.
    Good luck.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

To add to what crjdriver said , The Coolermaster 212 coolers are great, I prefer the 212 LED because the mounting is easier than the EVO. They are 160MM tall and your case has to be wide enough. I learned this the hard way and had to notch out a place on my side panel until I could get another case.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice