1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I uninstalled my hard drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IBreakComputers, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IBreakComputers

IBreakComputers Thread Starter

I accidentally uninstalled the driver for my INTERNAL hard drive after confusing it for the driver for my ******* Maxtor One Touch EXTERNAL hard drive. (Maxtor one touch has the gayest software ever... takes up 60Gigs of space and is very buggy, and then battery blew out on me).

so I uninstalled the driver (which amazingly enough is really fast and simple to do) using Management under Administrative Tools... then i was like wait maybe this computer (my mom's) has a maxtor internal drive... so i didn't restart the comp to save changes... i left for the night and in the morning (no one touched the comp that i know of... but maybe) it was dead. it won't turn on at all.

i hear scary things about the geek squad formatting drives... so is there a way to fix this?
    i have the installation cd for the maxtor internal hard drive...

ahhhh.

-Dan

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hard drives need no installation. They may need a driver if SATA. Where did you do whatever you did? What did the settings look like?

3. IBreakComputers

hmm.

well i pulled up control panel/administrative tools/computer management
    annnd i think under disk management.

i know i uninstalled a driver for a >> Maxtor #####
    and next morning computer is off and won't turn on... as if no power source. monitor gets power.
    i unplugged the computer and replugged it... tried the surge protector...

and i opened it up and realized that the hard drive is a Maxtor...

i also found a cd for installatiion and it is by maxtor...

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

Hi Dan , welcome to TSG .

*Never mind , Elvandil is on the case :) *

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you use the CD when you got the drive? How did you do it? What make/model of drive?

The CD may contain the SATA driver if that is what you used before. It wouldn't hurt to try booting with it and see what happens.

6. IBreakComputers

I'm sorry for the confusion.

xxxx
    The external hard drive doesn't matter. It was just not working well for me and I didn't like the software (500 Gig drive with only 440 Gigs in actuality because of the computer backup software that was included without installation. also, the battery kept going out on me. so i returned it.)
    xxxx
    I didn't delete a partition. Besides, can you even do that outside of bios?
    xxxx
    i went to the device manager in computer management and expanded "disk drives"
    it said something like Maxtor #####
    I right clicked. and then uninstalled.

7. IBreakComputers

I'll go get the cd. i'm not sure what SATA is. but my tower won't power on... else i would have tried to boot from the windows cd by now. i reset the surge protector in case that was it and even pulled the cord out from behind the tower and replaced it. I'm not sure of the scope of this, though It would be amazing if this was a coincedence of some other type.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, not booting has nothing to do with drivers or anything else software-related. That is definitely a hardware problem and will have to be solved before any driver problems.

9. IBreakComputers

true that.
    could something software or driver related cause hardware to malfunction and go boom? and after i get the power back up what would be a malfunction related to me uninstalling the driver that i did?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Very unlikely that the driver or software has anything to do with it. Probably just an unfortunate coïncidence.

Do you have an XP CD? Did you originally install that hard drive yourself?

If that is an ordinary IDE drive, it should be installed automatically on boot (un;ess the actual driver was deleted). But if a SATA, you may need to load that separtely.

Do you have a floppy? If not, you may need to make an XP installation CD and put the driver on it.

11. IBreakComputers

I have a windows xp installation cd. how would I replace the driver? if i did it on a floppy would that be better?

anyways, i was thinking of taking the hard drive out and buying an encasement for it so i could plug it into my other computer as a removable drive so that i could get some things off of it immediately. (a few important docs on it).

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, if you have a floppy drive, the driver should be at the computer maker's site.

13. IBreakComputers

if i do have the driver how would i install it without booting from the drive itself? in bios?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

At this point, you'd need to do a repair installation of XP. Boot from the XP CD, follow the prompts to install, choose your installation when it asks, and choose to repair it. Nothing is lost if all goes well.

Near the beginning of this process, a prompt appears at the bottom of the screen to press F6 to load SATA or SCSI drivers. That's your cue. It checks the floppy.

15. IBreakComputers

Thanks. you're awesome. I should be able to figure it out from here. I'm very sorry for being such a noob.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice