1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I wanna buy a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aces1999, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aces1999

aces1999 Thread Starter

I need to buy a laptop and don't know a lot about computers. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced laptop. I would like to get a decent machine without spending more than around $600 is this possible? thanks for any input.

2. aces1999

aces1999 Thread Starter

also, my search list is getting rather long, how do I delete some of the threads?

3. aces1999

aces1999 Thread Starter

Ok, after looking around a little I am thinking about going with an ACER. Any suggestions about the pros v. cons with this product. I also have to sell my current PC, how should I go about that? It's a dimension 3000 with pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB of Ram, 800 front bus, what else.... I like the pc but really need a notebook.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

donate it to a charity and take the tax deduction... ;)

In all seriousness...without looking I would guess that machine is a dime a dozen in your local "want advertizer"...the one in my area has page after page of pc's for sale for dirt cheap... might be better to just keep it as a backup as opposed to basically "giving" it away

which search list? searches for your posts?

buck

5. ezymony

ezymony

I bought my Acer for Christmas 3003wlci From Circuit City $599 12 month no interest I like it the only con so far is battery life is about 1 hr. It has 60 gig hd 512 ram built in wireless the battery life is not a big problem for me i use it at home anyway just plug it up to wall socket.

6. surveyranger

surveyranger

i have an acer aspire 1500 series that was a little pricier ($1050). it runs great as far as being stable and not crashing. the battery life averages about 2.5-3 hrs when i'm using the wireless feature and surfing the net. having a 15"+ screen also doesn't help. the only con is that the amd athlon 64 processor gets HOT!
    i'm sure if you got a notebook with a slower processor, it wouldn't get so hot. and if the notebook has a smaller screen, then there's not as much to light up. thereby increasing your battery life.
    a couple of places i've looked for laptops before purchasing mine were newegg.com, microcenter.com, and tigerdirect.com

as far as the old computer, why not keep it? network the 2 together and use the dell for file storage.

happy hunting :)

7. aces1999

aces1999 Thread Starter

thanks for all the advice, but I need the room and the money for the used dell. It's a great machine but must go. The stats are good. Any suggestions for how to unload it?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would look into a newer used laptop. Or you can go to www.geeks.com and pick up a good refurbished laptop that coms with OS and all else for right around 600.00.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

says who... As I said there are many for sale all over the place...

sorry to be blunt but... that desktop is worth basically nothing...

try Ebay...it a sellers market... you might find a, you no what/who, to fit the seat ;)

buck

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you can also try here http://www.laptopcloseout.com/usa/store.html they have several listed in your price range.

You would probably get lucky if you can get $300 for your present system. And that would include the Monitor and the OS discs that came with it. Sorry for the bad news. Used Dell systems are not bringing a lot as they are so cheap to buy in the first place.

11. aces1999

aces1999 Thread Starter

thanks for all your advice.... being blunt is best why ask for info if you don't wanna hear it. I think I might have found someone to buy it for $475!!!!! knowing the computer like I do, it is worth it.... great stats.... used for gaming. Now to find a laptop. Thanks everyone!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice