1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want a new computer!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Quartzforlife, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Quartzforlife

Quartzforlife Thread Starter

I have just read the thread by MPeg3 regarding which computer is best for photos,but I am in a different position,cash is tight,I own a P2 win 98 10 gb hdd 192mb ram machine,which is just not up to the job,it is old and I am realising it's limitations.I have a Nikon D70,and most of the computer use I do is photoshop,not just retouching,but mostly multiple layer work,mine being PS 5.5, though I have PS CS2,and Dreamweaver(not loaded on my machine)I would really like to do RAW work,but this thing I think is not up to it.So,I really do need to upgrade,but to what?As I say,cash is tight,what sort of machine should I be looking for,what would anyone recommend as a minimum specification,or even slightly better than minimum?I could go and buy something from PC World,or alternatively I have an computer engineer friend who likes building them and would build to a specification,but I need to know what I am looking for and therefore specify.Therefore I am asking all of you knowledgeable persons out there,what would you recommend,an expandable machine,capable and on a budjet?

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

I'm exhausted just trying to read your post

What are you really trying to do?

3. Quartzforlife

Quartzforlife Thread Starter

Yes,I wibbled a lot,it has been a bad day,my apologies.What I am looking for,is someone to give me some advice as what I should look for in a new computer,to replace my existing one,bearing in mind the use I have for a computer is photoshop and internet.Something hopefully using modern technology.

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

If you want to use Photoshop you'll want at least 1GB of RAM, and I'd get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Since you don't have that much to spend, I'd just get a smaller hard drive (160GB) for now.

5. wilson44512

wilson44512

if your computer engineer friend builds pc tell him what you want to use it for. and maybe he can give you some tips on what to get.

6. slipe

slipe

At this stage I think I would want an upgrade to Vista included with the computer. Many brand name computers are offering that but if you had someone build one you would have to pay for the upgrade.

You don’t mention a budget, so guessing what you would want is impossible. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Office Depot has this advertised through today for $400 after rebate:
    Compaq Presario SR2030NX Computer, FS7600e 17-in. CRT Monitor. AMD Athlon 64 3800+ enhanced virus protection processor, 1GB DDR2 memory, 200GB hard drive, Double Layer Lightscribe DVD +-RW Drive. 9-in-1 memory card reader
    That would run Photoshop pretty well for a basic computer. The internet isn’t very computer dependent.

Office Depot also has this for $800 after rebate:
    HP A1640N Media Center Computer, HP VS17e 17-in. LCD Monitor. Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo E6300 processor. 2GB DDR2 memory, 250GB Hard Drive. Double Layer DVD +-RW Light Scribe Drive. 9-in-1 Memory Card Reader
    That should run Photoshop quite well.

Both of the Office Depot computers have an upgrade to Vista home Premium for $10 shipping and handling.

There will be new deals in the Sunday paper.

Not sure what you are looking for in configurability. Inexpensive name brand computers usually have mini motherboards with limited slots and integrated sound and video. Most have a couple of empty PCI slots and some have an AGP slot. Most have a single large bay for something like a second burner or drive. Most have a place for a second HD and available memory slot. But they aren’t the kind of computers you regularly upgrade motherboards and processors with.

If you want to have your friend build one I would ask about specifics here. http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/77909774 But figure out a budget before you ask. It has been almost two years since my last build and I’m too far out of date to give decent advice.

7. lister

lister

I would have saved the money you spent on Photoshop CS2 (it won't run even run on your PC) & Dreamweaver and put it towards your PC first - even if they erre upgrade, rather than full versions, that would be about $500 or more towards a new PC!

8. ferrija1

ferrija1

As slipe said, it would be nice if you could tell us your exact budget.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice