1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want a new Laptop..

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by anarchicerror, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anarchicerror

anarchicerror Thread Starter

I am a current Windows user, i want a apple mackbook (not pro). I think their warranty is great and the small compact-ness is awesome and now that leopard is out its another plus (boot camp). (not to forget the new santa rosa chipset thingie) BUT- i want a new laptop soon and I heard so many rumors on a new "aluminum small mackbook" AND that they are cutting the current macbook line (cause of its glossy-white-ness). BUT WHAT SHOULD I DO I WANT A NEW LAPTOP SOON!!!!

2. matt.ledger

matt.ledger

The latest update to the MacBook's was the "Santa Rosa thingie" which was less than a week ago so I would say that buying a MacBook now is a reasonably safe purchase - they wouldn't bother updating a model if they were about to get rid of it! Apple is a very secretive company and rarely gives any prior warning of updates so there are constantly rumours circulating about updates and secret projects, if you want a MacBook I would go ahead and buy it now - of course a newer, better, sexier model will be released sooner or later but that won't be for a good few months.

Btw - I am typing this on a MacBook - best computer I have ever owned - worth every penny!

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

There have been rumors about a tablet MacBook and a smaller (12") powerful laptop. If you bought a MacBook now, you would love it even if something else came out later.

4. dannyn

dannyn

so true with the other two posts... i was wondering that too before i bout this macbook pro that i am using now... but i love it... its so small.. light and sleek... i was a pc suer too and i really like it compared to the big clunky pcs... ( i still sue a pc for some apps.. but nothing boot-camp couldn't fix.)

5. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

It's like they told me when I was looking for a Mac...you can always get the latest and greatest if you wait, but it's still going to be outdated in a couple of years anyway. If you don't like the white macbook, buy the black one. I bought the MacBook Pro, and it was definitely better than any PC laptop I've played with.

My only real suggestion is this: DON'T buy the low end model!! Buy the top notch maxed out model. I bought the low end one, and I don't really feel that the machine had enough oomph to run the programs with the low end equipment. I'd buy the protection plan too--mine has paid for itself twice (I bought the refurb, so it had some minor issues) or more just in parts. Good luck!

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

Yes, the Applecare is great, I've never had any experience with it but I've heard great stories.

7. matt.ledger

matt.ledger

I agree ... the AppleCare is great, you get a year free and I have only had to use it once but they are really amazing ... I rang t about 8 in the evening and got straight through to someone based in the UK who really knew what he was talking about, I was amazed! ... not sure I'd pay for the extra cover though ... is quite pricey!
    I would avoid the black MacBook though - when I bought mine it is true that you really had to go for the middle spec model but since then they have updated them and dropped the price - the base model is now the the same spec as mine (which is more than adequate) and the only thing it is missing is a DVD burner, the top model (the black one) doesn't really have many advantages anymore - other than the slightly bigger hard drive you are mostly paying for the black casing (admittedly for alot of Apple fans that is exclusivity is worth the price!), so my advice would be go for either the base or middle model depending on your price range.
    Hope that helps.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice