1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i want my router to act like no router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NerdH8er, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NerdH8er

NerdH8er Thread Starter

i have a linksys BEFSR41 etherfast cable/dsl router and when i download on P2P programs they are slower then if i just plug the modem straight to ethernet card. how can i make this not a problem? and another thing how can i make a server on a game (CS) allow to connect to the internet, for some reason one computer will work and the other wont
    both computers are windows XP

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't do p2p, but I tinkered with Kazza Lite a while back. I suspect it's due to the fact that if you don't open some ports, you have to run in the passive mode, and it may be slower.

As far as the game, you have one public IP address, and two private IP addresses. Ports can only be forwarded to one machine, so it's pretty difficult to get applications that use fixed ports running on more than one machine behind NAT translation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice