1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want poorer quality

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Dingus, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi there folks,
    I know you must be thinking .......... WHAT? Let me explain.
    The problem is that the photo file I have is far too big to put on my web site. I've been trying to lower the colours (Colors for the yanks) to a workable size, but when I try to save the file once I've done the work Paint shop pro tells me 'The original file does not support save'. (I think Microsoft said summit similar)

Can anyone help on this one please? :confused:

2. hewee

hewee

Not sure I know what it is you mean. What format are you trying to save the images in?
    I know what I do things in PhotoImpacts and have lots of objects and layers etc and I go to save it as a .jpg and some other formats I get a warning. But it will still save the image. It just will not save all the objects and layers.

So if you can click ok then do so. Just always us the save-as so you never lose what you started with.

I get warning like this trying to save to jpg and other formats that will not support the saving of layers, objects et.
    But it will save it still as one image file.

See image

Attached Files:

• save.jpg
      save.jpg
      File size:
      12.7 KB
      Views:
  3. thatcoolguy

thatcoolguy

Easy, espically if your using winXP. Go to this link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and download "Image Resizer" (scroll down a little, you'll see it on the right hand side). Once you install this, you can "right click" on any digital picture and resize it to 1 of 4 given resolutions. This is the easiest, quickest, and it's free.
    Also free, is " IrfanView" from www.irfanview.com. This has more features and is not hard to use, but is a program you will have to load. Try my 1st suggestion 1st if you have XP. :)

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If you're using Paint Shop Pro, you can resize rather than reduce colours/colors :D

With a picture open, go to Image>Resize then choose a smaller size....for computers the generally accepted size is 640x480...but play around with it and also make sure that you have a check mark in "lock aspect ratio" or maintain aspect ratio-this will ensure that the picture will stay proportionate.

Hope this helps,

MBN

5. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,
    I'm trying to save it in the same format .jpg. I've tried both 'save' and 'save as' but I always get the message you posted hewee, but I know it will not change the amount of colours that I'm trying to decrease.
    Coolguy I'll try your downloads. TA
    MustB I can change the physical size but no the amount of colours, which makes it far to big on a web site for a visitor to download. Especially for someone on dial-up.

I'll give some feedback once I've tried your suggestions. :D

6. hewee

hewee

I just open Paint shop pro and open a 24-bit image in it.
    Then I went to the top menu and to colors and down to Decrease color depth.
    I picked 8-bit 256 colors and then saved it just find without any error or warning

The 24-bit true color image was a 128 KB .jpg
    The 8-bit 256 color was a 89 KB .png

Ok I saved the file as a jpg but got this pop up saying it would save it has a 24 bit even after I change it to 8-bit 256 colors.
    But it saved it ok.
    It is still 24 bit but it is now only 32 KB

So now I know what your sying about the amount of colors not being saved the way you wanted.
    But hey I still did it and got the file size from 128 KB to 32 KB.

Here is the 24 bit 128 KB file

Attached Files:

7. hewee

hewee

Here is the same image.
    It is still a 24- bit image but only 32 KB

So look at the file size of your saved image because that is what your really wanting.

Attached Files:

8. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hewee...... You'll scare the kids with that. lol
    I'll give it a try and let you know, may not be for a week tho.
    Mant thanks Hewee

9. hewee

hewee

I look that bad that I scare the kids. :D
    Say boo to them for me. :p

Best of luck to yea.

10. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hewee hello again, have had time now to try you suggestion and it works a treat.
    Many thanks. :D

ps. The kids are still hiding under the bed.

11. hewee

hewee

Glad to hear Dingus all works for you now. :)

Now get the kids out from under the bed because there are spooky things under there. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice