1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I *want* the "Publisher Could Not be Verified" warning (cont'd)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by always_learning, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. always_learning

always_learning Thread Starter

Since my original thread regarding this problem is closed (too old, from November 2008), I am continuing it on this new thread.

As a reminder, somehow for some strange reason, my Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop stopped giving me warnings for unsigned downloadable programs. I tried (almost?) everything conceivable to fix that - to no avail. Here is the original thread:

I *want* the "Publisher Could Not be Verified" warning!

I eventually got to implementing the last suggestion (sfc /scannow), but that didn't help either.

I am out of ideas, totally baffled by this mystery.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. always_learning

always_learning Thread Starter

Eureka! I can't believe this... I think that I solved the mystery: Said warning does appear but only for programs that I download via Internet Explorer!

I was testing this function all that time by downloading via Firefox 2.0...

Apparently, the hint has always been there, in the form of the registry key path: as its name implies, it is intended for Internet Explorer. Duh! :eek:

However, I could swear that it worked via Firefox, too, on the other machine. The other machine has Firefox 3.0. Is it possible that Firefox 3.0 supports this feature while Firefox 2.0 doesn't?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice