1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to bring back the bag phone (VOIP this time)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by colin4955, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colin4955

colin4955 Thread Starter

i have vonage VOIP service. for this question please dont worry about power issues i will worry about that.

OK here is what i want to do. i want to hook up my voip adapter ( the box that usually connects to the telephone at one end and my router at the other) to something that will connect to hotspots. one of Vonage's advertising pitches is that you can take the vonage box anywhere there is broadband service so i know that this is allowed. i.e. i could do exactly what i want to do by connecting the vonage box to any router via ethernet cable (the vonage box has ethernet and phone jacks on it) but i want to do this wirelessly. i know there are wifi voip phones on the market but i still want to try it this way.

how can i do this?

2. colin4955

colin4955 Thread Starter

do i need a computer to do this?

3. Tstright

Tstright

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you really wanted to use your Vonage box, which is actually enabled on the Vonage network, you can also use a WAP to link to the wireless hotspot. The phone previously posted, while really neat, would have to be enabled for use on the Vonage system before it would work. That would preclude using your current Vonage adapter when you got home.

5. colin4955

colin4955 Thread Starter

i knew i would get answers like that. Thank you very much for your time but please don't help me with something kinda like what i am talking about but rather stick to the question. if you want to help me out but need more information please ask. in my question i said i knew about the wifi voip phones on the market but i still wanted to try to solve the problem in my question.

thank you

6. JohnWill

What did you find about post #4 that did not DIRECTLY address what you asked? Perhaps you don't like the answer, but it is the answer to your query. :rolleyes:

7. colin4955

colin4955 Thread Starter

thanks for answer # 4. could you please dumb it down a little. if it is a complete answer i don't understand it. my network knowledge from a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being my grandma, 10 being that tech support guy from Saturday Night Live. Me=6 or 7
    Thanks

8. JohnWill

A WAP (Wireless Access Point) will connect to a wireless network and present you with the signal on the Ethernet interface. This allows you to receive the wireless hotspot signal with the WAP, convert it to wired Ethernet, and connect it to the VoIP adapter. Since you are carrying around the one that is enabled on the Vonage network, it should connect and function just like at home.

One hitch in your plan is that you can't easily change the configuration of the WAP, so you'll be stuck with whatever encryption settings you configure. If you're only planning on connecting to unencrypted hotspots, this won't be an issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/603755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice