1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to cut the cord ASAP!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by dogluver, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Please help! I am done with Comcast and all the charges. I pay a charge for a sports channel I've never watched. Was told I have to have it with basic cable!!! I am so done with them!!

I know a lot of people are getting antennas. I want one that has a pretty long range. I've seen a bunch on Amazon. Can you recommend one? They appear to be easy to install. I see that you have to put it on your window and I'm not sure what else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I watch about 5 different programs plus the local news, but Comcast is making pay for all these other programs that I don't want. So frustrating!!

Thank you in advance
    Mindy

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    The flat antennas that you can stick to a wall or window are not that long range. You can get an idea of the type distances and pointing directions you are looking at by entering your address at this site:

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address

Are all of your desired programs broadcast by local TV stations or are some of them on cable only channels?

3. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Some are cable stations, but I think I might be able to get them from my Roku (Daystar). Also, I saw online - cnet I think that you can buy an adapter for a longer range. Am I right? Thanks for your help!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    The only sure way to get a clear strong signal from stations that are not close to you (like under 20-25 miles) is with a bigger antenna and possibly a higher mounting of it. An indoor amplified antenna may let you get stations 35 miles away if the terrain is favorable.

5. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Have you looked at services like Sling, YouTube TV, and PlayStation Vue?

6. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's help. I have a lot to look into now.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice