I want to do it myself!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zulli85

I have always wanted to, and decided im finally going to build my own computer. I plan on taking much of the hardware from this machine and putting it in my new computer that I wish to build. What I would like from you guys is to help me decide on a new motherboard and processor. Also any other tips for building a computer would be appreciated. I consider myself pretty well experienced for this kind of thing. I have replaced many sound cards, video cards, disc drives, power supplies etc. Although I haven't done anything to this extent. I will give any hardware specs from this machine if needed, thanks!

How much are you willing to spend? Figure out your budget first, and list everything in your current computer as well.

Also, what do you plan on using your new computer for? Is it just going to be used for email and word processing, or do you plan on playing newer games as well?

Since you've replaced cards before, you'll be fine with building your own. It's really not that difficult, but it can look hard at the beginning because of all the different parts. But since you've dealt with the inner parts before, you should be fine.

When you do build it, just take your time and double check everything before you turn it on. Most parts now are made so that if you hook them up wrong, they won't be permanently damaged, but it's better to have everything set up right the first time.

Zulli85

Well for the motherboard and processor I would like it to be no more then $300 if possible. I will also need a case and obviously ram.

As of now I'm on an AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz with 768 MB SDRAM. Also using a Geforce 4 Ti 4600, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, and Samsung SV6004H 60 gig HDD. I'm using an ethernet card to connect to my cable provider. I plan on porting everything over to the new system besides obviously the mobo and processor. Everything will be replaced with time, for now I just want to get a new system up and running. I'll be using it heavily for gaming, as well as things like word processing and photo sharing.

I'm worried firstly that my video card is AGP, and the new wave of motherboards have PCI Express. Is this a big deal? With time I will want a new graphics card. I guess one of the most important things for me is that the motherboard be highly upgradeable if possible. Thanks for the help, I'll give more info if needed.

Zulli85 said:
I'm worried firstly that my video card is AGP, and the new wave of motherboards have PCI Express. Is this a big deal? With time I will want a new graphics card. I guess one of the most important things for me is that the motherboard be highly upgradeable if possible. Thanks for the help, I'll give more info if needed.
You should dump your AGP because you don't want to spend money on a non PCI-E board if you are going to use it "heavily for gaming". You won't find any serious games today not looking to go PCI-E--there is a significant performance gain over the old AGP cards. Get an AMD processor, preferably dual core--this is the one I would get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562 ($330)

You'll have to spend a bit more than you wanted. This is a great board for the money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569 ($92)

But this is a better gaming board (its SLI):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568 ($225)

If you want to stick in your budget (or close to it), go with this processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537 ($190) and the first board, whcih would bring you in under $300).

But keep in mind you still need a video card.

Always remember to use sites like new egg to get some basic ideas. (It has a better search function.) Then use www.Pricewatch.com to look for the parts. Just type in the manufactureres model number. You may very well buy it from new egg. But, you may find much better. You will find, fairly quickly, many sites that are out there, and more descriptions of parts to help you decide what your looking at. This will give you the mass options if you want to take the time to investigate what is out there to buy.

You may find a whole resource of sites you like useing. And many things you will not find at places like new egg. You'll get the drift after enough hours! :)

And once you have seen enough about what is out there right now, you will have a better grasp on what to look for in interenet searches. You'll know what to look up to see how much you trust different resources, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online