1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to go back to XP

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by wingnut73, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wingnut73

wingnut73 Thread Starter

Any advice on how to go back to windows XP, I hate windows 8
    Windows old is on my HD. Does that help me do it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a Windows XP installation CD you boot to it and install.

If you have a Windows XP "Recover to XP factory defaults" disk you boot to it and "recover."

If you have neither, was XP pre-installed? If so, do you still have the Product Key on the COA sticker and what version of XP was it?

3. wingnut73

wingnut73 Thread Starter

Yes I do have the Windows XP home install disc. I did use the disc manager to shrink the Windows 8 partition of 1 tb hd hoping I could get XP to install on the other un partitioned space. Not sure what else needs to be done with this to this space to get this to work.

4. saikee

saikee

You just tell the XP installer to install XP in the space created by shrinking the partition.

Xp installer will go ahead and install Xp there but place the boot loader inside Windows 8 partition because it is active and is the first one Xp installer detects.

The consequence is Windows 8 boot loader in the MBR and the boot sector will be replaced by Xp's own version which can boot Xp only and that should solve your problem. Xp cannot boot Windows 8 because its boot loader NTLDR is not man enough for the job. It it does then bootmgr, the current boot loader for MS Windows, would not have been invented by M$ for Vista, Win7 and Win8.

In future date if you want to use Windows 8 you can do so by restoring Windows 8 boot loader. This operation requires the Windows 8 installation DVD.

For dual boot you can either use Windows 8's bcdedit.exe, a terminal program, to include Xp as a booting option. The easiest way is to download EasyBCD, a free desktop program, and ask it to arrange the dual boot without getting to know how to use bcdedit.exe.

It is not advisable to remove the Windows 8 partition in the above arrangement as Xp installer will use it as the boot partition (because it is the current "active" partition).

On account of Windows 8 being a much better and faster operating system I would not recommend its removal. You are entitled to use it any way you see fit after paying for a license and it could form a second OS in the hard disk. It also has useful functions, like shrinking and extending a partition, that XP hasn't. Win8 doesn't dependent on drivers wheras Xp can't work without them.

5. wingnut73

wingnut73 Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation. Not sure that I want to continue on that route.
    I installed the classic interface on Win 8 and will play with it for a little before I proceed any farther.

6. golferbob

golferbob

i don't like the new win 8 , what is "classic interface" ?

7. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Classic interface can be viewed by clicking on the 'Desktop' icon on the start screen. You can run programs from that screen, create shortcuts to programs and click on the folder icon in the taskbar to access files/programs on the C: drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice