1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to go back to xp

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dantheman1982, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dantheman1982

dantheman1982 Thread Starter

I have brought a second hand laptop for my daughter that has had vista installed on it. It should have xp originally. I want to install xp but the laptop tells me that I have a newer os so it won't install. I went through the settings to try and format the hdd but the format button is dull and it doesn't work. I don't know what to do next. The laptop only has a 30gb hdd and I only have about 300mb free. Can someone help me please.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    First we need the make and model of this machine?

3. dantheman1982

Yes sorry, its a dell latitude d600 pentium m.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Advise what the 7-character "service tag" number is that's on one of the stickers.

Advise what the exact version of Windows is that's on the Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Latitude D600 support site.

What media do you have to install Windows XP?

Is it the same version that's on the COA sticker?

5. dantheman1982

The service tag is 1NZB11J
    The certificate of authenticity reads: windows xp professional 1-2CPU

6. dantheman1982

I got an xp pro disc not sure if its the same version that was originally installed or wether the product key on the sticker will work with it, I also have it on a flash drive butit won't install from usb, I tried changing the boot order allready. I'm not sure if the flash drive needs to be formatted or if it would even work.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 1NZB11J, here is the Dell support and downloads site that's specific only to your Dell Latitude D600 laptop.

I suggest you add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it was purchased in March 2004 in the United Kingdom and came with Windows XP Professional SP1 installed - which coincides with the version on the COA sticker.

Unless the Windows XP Professional disc you have is Dell-branded, I don't believe the serial number on the COA sticker will be accepted when you attempt to activate it.

You might want to browse through these links and see if you can find one at a decent price from a reliable site.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't mention how much RAM that laptop currently has.

If it's currently running Windows Vista, hopefully it's been upgraded from its original 256 MB to at least 1 GB(1024 MB) or maxed out to 2 GB(2048 MB).

It uses DDR PC2700(DDR333), 2.5 volt, CL=2.5, unbuffered, non-ECC, SODIMM modules.

---------------------------------------------------------

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the XP Pro CD will work, but it's at least worth trying. Does the PC have boot from USB capability (my Dell Inspiron 8600 from 2004 does not)?

I didn't understand "also have it on a flash drive" along with "not sure if the flash drive needs to be formatted or if it would even work." What program did you use to prepare the USB flash drive? Have you tried booting it on another computer?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless you obtain a Windows XP Pro disc that has SP3 as part of it, you should download and save and then copy the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade to a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD-R.

Your goal is to get Windows XP Pro up-to-date with SP3 and the numerous post-SP3 high-priority updates before you start installing programs and extras in that laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    SP3, then latest chipset and other drivers from Dell's web site; then high-priority updates, then whatever. :)

I put the drivers in that spot because sometimes the latest networking will not work with only SP1.

12. dantheman1982

it will not boot from CD. I have not prepared the flash drive as i dont know how. the laptop said i couldnt install because it already has a newer version of windows.

there is 512mb of ram.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's not allowing you to downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP because you're attempting to do it within Windows.

You need to boot from the Windows XP disc, then delete all current partitions, then create a new C partition, then format that new partition in the NTFS file system, then install Windows XP. The entire setup/install process will involve 2 restarts.

If it's not booting from the Windows XP disc, it's probably because the CD/DVD drive isn't set first in the boot order or the disc that you're using isn't bootable.

I'm guessing a 256 MB module was added to the original 256 MB module to give it the current 512 MB. Windows Vista will run like a turtle with only 512 MB.

------------------------------------------------------

14. dantheman1982

I have set the boot order to boot from the disc and I tried it from usb it won't work from either it says press any key and then vista starts. The cd I have is xp pro sp3. If I download xp pro for dell will that work? I can only find it with sp2 or sp3.

15. dantheman1982

Is it possible to install from a non-dell disc? And would windows 7 or 8 run better than vista?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice