1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ecpool, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecpool

ecpool Thread Starter

I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive then reformat my original drive with original
    operating system (windows ME). What is the easiest way to do this? If I do this, how do I get all my programs back in the
    START\PROGRAMS list and in the add/remove programs list? Thanks in advance for your help

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Which drive are you going to use to boot your operating system? All apps that you wish to use, need to be installed 'thru' the operating system first........

3. pvc9

pvc9

Do you want this to happen?

Copy all the programs+data from the 1st drive to 2nd. Later install the OS again on the 1st drive and move back the programs+data from 2nd drive to 1st drive. Once done that you want the programs to appear in the Start->Programs list?

If yes, then its not possible.

edit : Timing Candy;)

4. ecpool

ecpool Thread Starter

I was wondering if there is a way to do this when I install a 2nd hard drive.

5. slipe

slipe

Any application you still have the install CD or zip file for should be reinstalled. You can try moving the remaining programs with something like this: http://www.alohabob.com/products.asp It makes the registry links etc.

Another option is to use the move or transport function in Cleansweep. It works best if Cleansweep monitored the original install with csinject active and Fast Analysis switched off. Otherwise I think you would be better off with the dedicated program.

Files are no problem. Partition and format the new drive as slave (or on another channel) and you can just move stuff like you would within the HD. Most drives come with software that will clone the second drive to the first. Then you could selectively move stuff back after formatting your original drive and loading ME. You would then have to clean up your second HD. I think it would be easier to just move stuff.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have all of your program installation disks?

7. pvc9

pvc9

All qs asked! As posted by slipe you would need a software to move the appz!

8. ecpool

ecpool Thread Starter

I will give the above suggestions a try. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice