1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to install Sims 2 on my portable Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Games' started by jazzylady, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jazzylady

jazzylady Thread Starter

I am using an Acer laptop (Aspire 5520G). Operating system Vista. Portable HDD Seagate 320 GB.

I tried installing the sims 2 and most of the expansion packs on my external HDD, so that I do not use up all my C drive space with downloads and saved games. When installing I used the option "advanced user" and changed it it drive letter H instead of C but whilst installing it still says that data will be installed on drive C, which I seem to have no control over. When I checked the EA folder on C drive it as the download folder and saved games folder on that drive. This stuff I wanted on H drive. Is there a way I can put everything on my HDD or at least move the downloads and saved games to the portable HDD?

2. foxtra

foxtra

All installed files are movable. It's just a manner of changing shortcut locations. Why it is installing on your C:\ drive instead of your portable is something I can not answer. Theres no reason why it should not install there.
    Does any data end up on the portable disc during the installation at all?

3. jazzylady

jazzylady Thread Starter

First of all thank you for trying to help. Yes, What is ending up being installed on the portable is the folders in program files, the ones that don't use much space!! But the EA folder is going to my documents and as this is were the downloads and saved games folder are it eats into space on C drive. I'm wondering if I could just move the EA folder to my portable, would this affect the way the game works?

4. foxtra

foxtra

Alright, just moving would cause problems as it would not know where to find the saves. But I've found a solution. How ever, this will change the windows "documents" navigation. Meaning all files that are saved to your real "my documents" folder will be saved to the portable folder.
    ) Shut down ALL applications, messengers, programs, etc.etc.
    2) Pick a location on a drive with ample space and create a folder. If you currently or in the future wish to add new users, you may want to make sub-folders for additional users. (Example: create a folder on your H drive for "User Data", then put a folder in there named "Baluu" or whatever your vista login name is, then inside that folder a "Documents" folder).
    3) Open up the REAL Documents (usually a shortcut on your desktop or start menu) and copy all the contents there to the new folder on the bigger drive.
    4) Right-click on the REAL Documents folder and select Properties from the mouse-menu.
    5) You can now change where Documents for the current user is located.

This should put the saves on your portable drive.

Foxtra

5. jazzylady

jazzylady Thread Starter

Thank you

6. wicked.ludicrous

wicked.ludicrous

I thought you couldn't do this. I asked this same question but for another game but was told that if you want to do this, you have to install the game location on the external drive on every computer.
    Sorry but don't listen to foxtra, he's kind of got it wrong. When you're in the installation process, point the installation destination to wherever you want to install the game files on your portable hdd. That's just basically it. So after doing that, the pc is going to look at that specific drive for the game files. So always connect your portable hdd into the SAME usb hub.
    Here's my thread that I asked a long time ago: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/787590-solved-possible-run-programs-games.html

Hope this helps

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice