1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to learn about Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HardwareGuy, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HardwareGuy

HardwareGuy Thread Starter

Hi all, I've been involved with computer technology for 25 years but Networking has never sunk in very well. I tried buying some basic books on it but without an actual network to practice on, it just doesn't seem to sink in. Can anyone recommend a better way? Please don't suggest taking a school course (in my area it's too expensive). I'm currently unemployed but I do have a part-time job that give me work sporadically so I need to learn at home in my spare-time.

I do have 2 computers (Win 8.1 and Vista Home Premium) I've connected via my Cable Companies (Optimum) router and a hub (both D-link). I can see certain Folders on the other PC but not everything (Music, Pictures, Playlists and Video, but not the HDDs or CD drive).

Is it asking too much for How-To advice to teach me the basics so I can be at least more knowledgeable?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First, get yourself a good study book. This book from Cisco Press is considered an essential guide for anyone looking to get into networking as a career.

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccna-640-802-official-cert-library-updated-9781587204388

Once you start getting into various topics, there are simulators out there which will provide you the ability to build out enterprise networks without having the physical gear. But some find it better to have physical hardware....such as me. If you go onto eBay and do a search for CCNA lab kit, you'll see some very nice kits for very reasonable prices. The kits range from $300 to $500. I'm actually a bit shocked that one kit has 2811 routers included in that $500 price. I have the lower tier 1841 routers in my lab and I bought those new at a heavy discount about 6 to 7 years ago for around $1200 a piece.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you want a basic simulator for Cisco google Cisco Packet Tracer. There are older versions out there that will do the basic stuff of creating a network.

Is there anything specific that you are having issues with? Perhaps we can help you get it to sink in. :)

4. HardwareGuy

HardwareGuy Thread Starter

zx10guy,

Thanks for the link. I went to Amazon to look at a few sample pages and started to get a headache.

http://www.amazon.com/640-802-Official-Library-Updated-Edition-ebook/dp/B007XC52F6

I'm the first to admit I'm not very good at trying to lean technical material without someone to ask questions with. I'm Dyslexic. How do you feel about the "...For Dummies" series?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118380983/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

I feel this is more geared to a novice like me. Believe it or not, I used to work at a book printing factory and saw dozens of the "...For Dummies" series on many different subjects and I thought they were written pretty well. At least I could absorb more when it's in a simpler format. But what is your take on the accuracy on this series? Please look at the sample I linked above. Also, the Cisco book is about $50 and the Dummies book I can get for about $18. Like I said, I'm out of work so I have to watch my budget. Otherwise I'd just go to night school for a couple of thousand bucks. Can't swing it. Sorry.

Couriant,

Basically I want to see if I can go to my Vista computer from my Win 8.1 machine so I can simply access it like in a regular network situation. I know there's a "Share" ability you can set on the Folders, but I'm missing some important step. I just want to learn how basic Networking works so I can request additional Networking jobs and (in turn) make more money. Everything I'm doing is to make myself more valuable to an employer. Money may make the world go round, but I can't even buy a token to get a seat.

Thanks.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The ...For dummies series is pretty easy-on-the-eyes type reading so I would definitely recommend them.

As to the Vista from a Windows 8 machine, you would want to look into Remote Desktop and/or screen sharing programs like TightVNC. I'm not too sure what is the preferred program for that now as I do Remote Desktop for most things, which is used in an administration environment as well.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Short description for Vista file sharing.

Go into the network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private.' In the Sharing and Discovery section you can configure File sharing, Public folder sharing (similar to Shared Documents in previous Windows), Printer sharing and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

Vista requires that a user account be password protected before it will permit file sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

Short description for Windows 7 and 8 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private' (or 'Home' or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Private or Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It really depends on how in depth you want to get. The Dummies book is probably fine if you want to have just a basic understanding from a hobbiest point of view. If you want to get into networking as a profession, the Cisco book I referenced is the basic level you'll be expected to have before anyone would consider you for any networking position. And from that Cisco book I referenced, things get really complex and technical in a hurry.

8. raed

raed

Hi.
    I would highly recommend you to read "Networking All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies". Its very easy to understand and learn, especially if you want to get into the basics of networking. Good luck! :)

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I vote for the "for Dummies" series of books. Yellow
    Along similar lines is the "A beginners Guide to" series. Orange

You may well be able to get both online for free or from a library.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice