1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to learn how to make my own website. Is ANGLEFIRE my answer?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hotskates, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I would like to learn how to make a website and also get a free website too. I see that a lot of people use Anglefire. Any good or bad feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

For the most part, these free web hosts are free because they place adverts at the top or at the side of every page. If you can live with that, then you might want to try it. Don't expect miracles in the tech-support or features front, either.

These free web hosts are fine for smaller sites though. Obviously, a site like this will be paid for, as the requirements far exceed what the likes of Angelfire can give. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with you're space.

Edit: I was thinking. Does you're ISP offer any free webspace? It might be worth using that up, as it won't have the banner ads to annoy you or you're visitors.

3. mad-martin

mad-martin

An easy program to create websites with is frontpage, you don't need much skill to create one of those, no html codes and such. However you can use those if you like.
    Webspace is something i expect your ISP will provide, otherwise you will have to live with these ads like Corrossive mentioned. :)

4. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

hotskates: Hi! I use angelfire and love it. Click on website bottom right of my post to see my 2002 site. The ad is small and can be "x"ed out. Good luck whatever you decide to use! Take care. angel

P.S.-Do you know html or anything? I do and use the advanced editor in angelfire. Otherwise they have templates that take you step by step through making a webpage...I remember those days well! And on web tv yet! :( Glad I have the pc! :D

5. putasolution

putasolution

Brinkster give you 30MB of Web space, no banner ads, no pop ups :D

You can't hot link to them though!

Front Page Express is a good easy WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get)

Front Page Express came with Windows 98,

Try your Start Menu and look in the Programs listing to find the Microsoft folder.
    OR
    Open your Windows Explorer to view the directories > go into Program Files > find the folder called Microsoft Front Page Express > find the file called Fpxpress.exe.
    OR
    Use your Find tool in the Start Menu and search for Fpxpress.exe.

If you can't find it , don't worry it can still be downloaded from here

A google search for Front Page Express Tutorials willl bring up a large number of good ones

6. Corrosive

Corrosive

Actually, I always recommend learning HTML first. Frontpage tend's to dump an awful lot of unnecessary code into play. If you know you're < span > tag from you're backside, it means you can change things that WYSIWYG editors find difficult.

7. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Wow!! You guys gave me quite a bit to chew on here. I'm taking it all in and will let everyone know what I can pull off. My ISP doesn't offer me any webspace. I am subscribed to a small local company that has pretty limited extras. I have a lot of really great ideas on what I want my website to look like. It is just for personal use. I'm sure Brinkster or Anglefire will do just fine, cause I'll probably keep it way under 30 MB. Thanks for all of the information. I'm also going to check out Front Page Express. I don't understand HTML. I have used bits of it from time to time. But, its pretty much "greek" to me.
    ** Angelize: Your website is SO nice. It looks like you really put your heart and soul into it. It's a lot less cluttered than some of the other anglefire sites I have visited.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with, it may take a while though. Hotskates ( hotskates.com wannabe).

8. codexaenir

codexaenir

The best way to learn HTML is thru notepad!:D

9. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I'll try learning HTML - but I think it will take a while. I checked out angelfire today and got started experimenting. I have a stiff neck now and am going to bed and possibly continuing this tomorrow. I can't figure out how to put pictures on. But I did manage to choose the background and write a little text. I want to have a background like a brick wall and maybe bouncing eyeballs when the curser moves across the screen, so all that fancy stuff will take me a while to figure out. I did choose a name, but nothing much is there yet. (www.angelfire.com/rock3/wildguitar)
    Hotskates:)

10. Corrosive

Corrosive

If you go to www.elated.com, they have a few HTML tutorials for you to follow, and if you so desire, they have ready-made "page-kits" which you can adapt. They do look kinda impressive, and also gives you an idea as to HTML syntax. Another good way of learning is by, ahem, stealing. If you see a site with bit's you like, go to "View > View Source" (In IE) and you can see how it was coded. If you learn HTML, learning CSS is a doddle too! :D

Anyway, if you have any coding issues (or any other issues, even if you decided to go WYSIWYG) just post back, and we'll help! ;)

11. Corrosive

Corrosive

Speaking of helping out, putting pictures on is easy peasy. In Frontpage, I think you need to go to Insert > Picture (or Image). You will then see a box in which you need to type the path of the image, or you can use the button next to it to actually browse to it as if you were saving something. There are other things there that aren't vital, but might be of interest.

Alternatively, there's the HTML route. The code you need to put in looks something like this...
    <.img src="C:\Wherever\Whatever\Pic.jpg">
    Get rid of the full stop just after the less-than symbol and change the path to wherever you're pic is being held. Notice that many of the HTML tags are based on English words, IMG being "Image", for example. You'd easily get the hang of it in a while.

12. suzi

suzi

If you need to find a background graphic, there are lots and lots of sites on the net with free graphics you can download and use. You should be able to upload your graphics with the file manager at angelfire.

http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/doc/faq/newcomer/pageseven.html

Oh, it looks like they call it "uploader" instead of file manager.

You can also get a free FTP program for uploading, filezilla.
    Another very easy to learn and use WYSIWYG program is CoolPage here: http://www.coolpage.com/

Watch out, building your own site is fun and addictive :D

If you need links to find free graphics post back or email me - I have a lot.

13. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

hotskates: Thanks for the compliments on my site! :) If I can make one anyone can! LOL :) Seriously though, good luck and take your time. Learning can be fun too! :)

suzi: That's nice of you to offer help! :) (You and I are both nurses!) :)

Take care. angel

14. Corrosive

Corrosive

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! COOLPAGE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*ahem* Sorry, had to get that out of the system. Used it once. Looked at source code. Had to have a triple heart bypass (and I'm only 15). :D

Basically, it uses masses of Javascript to accurately position all the emlements on a page. Which makes them absolutely huge, extremely slow and totally unusable if the user at the other end hasn't got Javascript enabled.

Edit: Just to clear things up, use Frontpage or Coolpage if you want to. I'm just making recommendations just in case this really is a serious website for a company or whatever :D

15. suzi

suzi

Lol - Corrosive :D I used CoolPage to make the first 10 or so web pages I did. I still have them up on my site including the ones with my family pictures and they load pretty quickly considering all the graphics. I know it generates a lot of code, but it sure is easy to use ;). I've never had complaints from anyone not being able to load them. I think it's a pretty amazing little program considering that it allows a newbie to do so many things on a web page so easily.

Now I use Dreamweaver. I am not a code purist - meaning if the page works, loads quickly and looks good, I'm not too concerned about extra code or whatever. If I were a professional web designer I would probably feel differently.

My philosophy is why look at and type all those little characters if you can use a WYSIWTG editor and get the same results. :p

Angel - I didn't know you are a nurse. Did you see my nurse page on my site? It gets a lot of google hits. (and it was made with Coolpage).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/128203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice