I want to play my PS4 on my DVI-D monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Haider561

Hi guys, I would be eternally grateful if I get a solution to this issue. I have just recently bought a converter cable from the internet that has a dvi input whilst having a dvi and a hdmi output. I apologise as I don’t know how that male/female shizzle works. Basically, I can connect a dvi cable and a hdmi INTO the converter and it has a dvi male (I guess) who puts himself inside the monitor I am using. I can provide exact details on request but it’s just a normal dell monitor which does not have an hdmi port, only a vga and dvi-d one.
Anyways, I got this damn connector cable after 6 weeks of waiting and to my further disappointment, it is not working. It does not even work when I only put the dvi-d into the dvi-d female and connect it to my monitor, nor does it work with only the hdmi, nor with both connected to the monitor. How can I get the monitor to switch between the outputs or even bloody work?! Sorry for the long essay but it’s quite a niche problem that I was unable to find anything for on the internet in order to resolve it.

plodr

Liz
a converter cable
It helps if you post the link to the product you purchased.
You might not have purchased the right converter for what you want.
Only after you post what you bought can someone tell you what it does.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY
after looking at the questions, I found
Will this work to connect a playstation 4 to a pc monitor for video? (i would be using a gaming headset for audio)
Yes it would if DVI plug on the monitor.

Note: it carries video only. You'd need something for sound.

Last edited:

Haider561

It helps if you post the link to the product you purchased.
You might not have purchased the right converter for what you want.
Only after you post what you bought can someone tell you what it does.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY
after looking at the questions, I found
Will this work to connect a playstation 4 to a pc monitor for video? (i would be using a gaming headset for audio)
Yes it would if DVI plug on the monitor.

Note: it carries video only. You'd need something for sound.
Thanks dude I was just giving the first bit of information so that I can see if people are actually going to reply lol.
The product I bought was https://business.currys.co.uk/catal...)&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate
Also, what u mention is a simple converter, I wanted a 2 in one so I don’t have to keep switching from pc to PS4 as that would be tedious. Thanks for the reply dude. For audio I already know what to do, just plug in a headset and ps audio is enabled

plodr

Liz
I've never owned any play station units nor have I split signals so hopefully someone here who knows more than me will jump in with a suggetion.

PS. I'm not a dude. I'm a female (note my name Liz) in my 70's.

Haider561

I've never owned any play station units nor have I split signals so hopefully someone here who knows more than me will jump in with a suggetion.

PS. I'm not a dude. I'm a female (note my name Liz) in my 70's.
I apologise for my assumption. However, if you were not aware of the solution in any capacity why would you comment on the thread Liz? Never mind, your advice was still appreciated!

Have you checked the PS4 forums for any help. I would think that would be a more prudent action then asking on a windows forum. First search I did, I found this......

Haider561

Have you checked the PS4 forums for any help. I would think that would be a more prudent action then asking on a windows forum. First search I did, I found this......

Dude I have literally searched everywhere I know and there is not a single relevant article or video anywhere. That’s why I made this post. I did not know this was strictly a windows site, it just says tech guy so I don’t get what you mean “only windows”. Plus the problem is it’s not just impossible to find a solution but I found it extremely difficult to even find the damn product linked above because it just would not come up in any search. Thanks for your interest.

You have two kinds of adapters.....passive and active. Do you know which kind of adapter you have? Can you provide a link to the adapter you have.

Haider561

What you have there is a splitter. I'm not sure if that's the problem. I'm not sure if there's a difference between a splitter and a adapter.

From the link you provide; Split your computer or satellite receiver's digital DVI signal and watch on one DVI display and one HDMI display simultaneously. Built with only the highest quality shielded components and gold plated connectors to ensure peak performance.

That's not what an adapter does. You need one of those cable mentioned in the video I posted. All active and passive means; is powered an non powered.

Haider561

What you have there is a splitter. I'm not sure if that's the problem. I'm not sure if there's a difference between a splitter and a adapter.

From the link you provide; Split your computer or satellite receiver's digital DVI signal and watch on one DVI display and one HDMI display simultaneously. Built with only the highest quality shielded components and gold plated connectors to ensure peak performance.

That's not what an adapter does. You need one of those cable mentioned in the video I posted. All active and passive means; is powered an non powered.
I understand. What you are saying is that the wire I got is not meant for a single monitor but for multiple displays right? I got this one being lazy and not wanting to keep changing the wire from pc to PS4 as it had both options connecting to one display. Ahh I’m not sure what I am even saying now because unless this device had some kind of hub that could switch between displays it would probably work, but as it is just a simple 2 input/1 output device it seems it’s not going to be able to connect to both devices. Maybe it just gets confused as to which one it should be displaying.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online