i want to run more than 1 fire wall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigJoe5434

is it bad to have more than 1 fire wall?

and is it more protection with more than 1?

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
A firewall is designed to run all the time NOT advisable to run two as they will probably conflict with each other....no doubt others might tell you different but why would you want two anyway?

Think of it like this:

Imagine a doubles tennis match, and a ball comes over the net at mid-court.

Player #1 says "I'll get it", but player #2 is also moving in to position and says "it's mine!", they run into each other and the ball sails straight past.

The analogy is that in trying to block a file from entry or exit, both will try to perform the action, but only one can have control. Therefore there will be some level of conflict, and the chances are that this will lower the effectiveness, not increase it.

Its impossible to predict exactly what would happen though, given the immense level of variables.

If you are that paranoid, then use a hardware firewall, and run a software firewall on the PC. They are both on separate platforms and cannot conflict.

I use a router on ADSL, and the router is configured for NAT (Network Address Translation) as most routers are. That provides a good level of inwards firewalling, to the extent that a software firewall on the PC has nothing to do regarding inwards traffic.

use kasperky firewall or mcafee firewall plus , and go to somewebsite for test , both they succeded ,they passed the test (stealth and protection opens port) both are 10/10

crjdriver

Do not use more than one software firewall. I much prefer a hardware firewall such as a router. If you really want to use more than one firewall, use a router and the firewall that comes with xp sp2.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OTOH, maybe we have a test victim for running two software firewalls. :) We can see how it works out... :D:D:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online