1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to setup my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DHennings, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DHennings

DHennings Thread Starter

Ok, first off, i have 2 computers that i want networked. I have Catagory 5 wiring all thruout my house in my phone lines. I have NIC in each computer. My upstairs computer has a DSL modem plugged into the NIC and from the modem a telephone line plugged into the jack on the wall. Downstairs i have access to plugin a network wire to the jack and the NIC on that computer. How would i be able to network these computers. If possible i would like to do so without a hub or router. Can i directly connect them together thru the wiring in the house? If so is there a type of walljack splitter that would give me 2 catagory 5 size phone jacks coming out of the catagory 5 jack i have now? Please this would help a great deal.

UPSTAIRS is WINXP and Downstairs is WINME

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, by far the easiest way is with a broadband router. You'll at least need another NIC for the computer with the DSL connection, which you wouldn't need with a router? Please, tell me why you reject the obvious and easiest way to solve the problem?

3. Del

Del

The router is cheap nowadays and will give you some protections and make life a lot easier??

4. marklab

marklab

I agree with the idea of purchasing a ruter. Much easier in setup. Only costs 2 times as much as a decent NIC. It should save you time and money in the long run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice