I want to start Networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

glaucus

I have 2 laptops that connect wirelessly to the internet. The are both running Windows XP Home Edition. I want to have them share files. How can i do that?

Couriant

James
You need:

2 PCMCIA wireless cards
1 Wireless Router
ISP that is DSL or higher

Do you need a step by step instruction on everything?

Couriant

James
Wait you changed the info now...

You will need to set sharing on the files or folders on each machine. When you go into Network Places, it should show under the computer name. Both machines should be on the same network id and workgroup.

The network ID is usually for a home network 192.168.1.x (x being a variable)

Couriant

James
to share a file or folder.

Go to My Computer and go to your file or folder you want to share (example C:\music). Right click on file or folder and choose Sharing. There may be a blue link on the top explaining what you are about to do. Click on it. Then click SHARE AS radio button and name it. The name will show on the other computers. There are other options which I don't know of memory, but I will when I get back from school.

As for the network ID, it's kinda hard to explain now, but basically your IP addresses should look the same on all computers except for the last one. (Your network ID is part of your IP address)

Go to START > RUN > type CMD. Then type ipconfig. You will get a basic list. The default IP address is 192.168.0.x, with x being any number from 1-254. If the numbers start with 192.168 then the third set may be different to the one I have here, but the first three sets of numbers should be the same on all computers.

For workgroup, Right click on My Computer, Properties.

Under Network Indentification, you should have Full Computer Name and Workgroup. The Workgroup name should be the same.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!