1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i want to start programming

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by trevor1, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

hello,
    i am very interested in programming and i wanted to know what language is the easiest to learn and where can i learn it from?

2. mixx941

mixx941

Hey all. I share Trevor's interest. I also want to learn to program.

I was wondering the same things he was wondering...what language is easiest to learn, where could I learn it from, and what program is the best to write that language (hopefully the cheapest as I am just starting out and don't know if I will get into it)....

Also, what language and/or programs would be needed to create games?

Thanks

-Mark

3. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Look through the forums, this has been asked milliions of times and you'll beable to find good responses/information in old threads.

4. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Hi all ... I also want to start picking up "programming" so I subscribed to your thread.
    I tried to do a search, but wow - lots & lots of threads to weed through. (try searching for word "programming" - lol)
    If either of you find a thread that relates to 'what to use and how to use it', would you mind posting the thread link here.
    I will do the same ... until we find something that works for us
    thanks
    cheers
    MDM

5. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

there u see if some would answer our questions instead of telling s to look for a thread in a haystack it would help 3 people!

6. suzi

suzi

Check out the Barnes and Noble University - go to www.bn.com and click on their online classes. Most of them cost money but there is a free class called Beginning Programming that might be helpful for you to learn a little about different programming languages and the basics.

Hope this helps.

7. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Snake~eyes said ...

Snake~eyes is absolutely right!! This question has been asked many times and everytime I came across this questions at these forums, I have recommended Visual Basic. Simply because it is easier to learn. If you are new to programming, it is easy for you to pay more attention to details rather than writing code even for something as basic as displaying a Window with minimise, maximise and close buttons!!

Start with Visual Basic, make all the concepts (like variables, constants, classes, variable types, arrays, loops, decision making, etc.) clear and then depending on your needs switch over to something more high profile as C#. But it may so happen that you get so fascinated by VB itself that you never leave it aside!! :).

Remember, as per some reports (most likely to have been made by the big bad daddy Micro$oft :rolleyes: ) VB is the most popular programming language.

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I am not going to tell you which one to learn first, but if you want to learn c++ and you have windows, go to here

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

the actual download to the newest version is at

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp4970-gcc32.exe

Older versions are available also.

Dev C++ is free and includes editor and compiler.

with the mdiapp example program, you can make a pretty awesome text/html editor. (better than Rogsoft Notepad+)

once you get the hang of that, you can start using different compilers etc.

9. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Shadow2531 - abvavguser ... thank you thank you thank you!

I agree that this topic has been asked and answered quite a few times ... I have seen a few since joing a few months ago, but never thought to mark the threads.

But I really do appreciate your guidance and leads on this
    ... even when searching, I was not sure where to go (hard when you are totally blind on the topic)

It was very nice of you to direct us once again.

cheers
    MDM

10. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

wow! visual basic 6.0 is only $600!!!!

11. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

but i fell that ill have a copy in a couple days:D

12. deuce868

deuce868

Not to knock you guys at all....but what do you want to do?

What language and tools you need greatly depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. Are you a MS junkie? Do you want to build apps as far as executable programs, admin scripts, web development projects, db scripts? What platforms are you hoping to work with?

If you are just wanted to learn the concepts of programming then I would say start with Java. It forces you to learn OOP from the start and is something you can play with on any platform.

There, I have now voiced my opinions...feel much better. :D

If you go VB I would suggest learning the newer stuff and VB.NET

13. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Good Questions deuce868!
    I am so blind about this area, I didn't even to think to ask myself a question or two :eek:. I had even assumed that one particular programming language would just open the door for other languages and the difference was only like that of InternetExplorer vs Netscape

Personally, I would like to learn more about
    1) Db scripts
    I use programs such as MSAccess, and attempt to limp along with the help prompts, but I would love to really know what I am doing & why, not just get there by trial & error.
    2) web development projects java applets, etc
    3) understand Java (why, what, how)

I am comfortable within the MS environments, and generally transfer over to other apps once I have the basic hang of things.

Thanks for helping in obtaining a more defined request

cheers
    MDM

14. deuce868

deuce868

Ok, I started out where you probably are. I had an access database and decided I wanted to put a web front end to it so that it would be easier for offsite people to view and edit the data (and I DESPISE the vbscript in access). I used ASP (and dreamweaver to help out) online.

After several successful projects online I learned that there are some major limitations to access and ASP. I had some background taking some Java and C++ classes at school (recent CS grad) and went to PHP and MySQL. WOW, I love working in it. Plus I can run it on an old P2400 server running linux.

My major problem with Access as a db for web projects is that if you change the database you need to download it (say to add a new table) and do the work and then reupload it. I found that I was losing data during the process as people would be working in the database as I took it down. I know it is hard to believe (as you would think the odds being pretty low for a 5 to 10 minute downtime) but it happened several times.

With mysql I avoid that. Using phpmyadmin I can make changes on the fly and not worry about peoeple accessing the site.

As for Java, I only have some basic skills in it. I had one class with it. I lean toward database driven web development so I did not go much farther from there.

Now for rescources (I know this is getting long...)
    I like my Oreilly "Web Database Applications" book a lot.
    I also like websites like this one, sitepoint.com, phpbuilder.com
    I also like books from Wrox (I have their beginning and advances asp books) so their php ones should be just as good.

The great thing about php and mysql is that you can install it on your laptop or what not to learn on. No software to buy to learn it. If you get into I will HIGHLY suggest the Zend Studio IDE for programming. Best php editor I have found. They have a free personal edition that is not as powerful, but still great for free.

For learning java, well...you're own your own to seach that out. There might be some Java players here to point out some things.

Sorry for the length...but there is a lot to talk about when you get into this.

Any more q's feel free to email me or post back here.

15. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

deuce868 .. thank you!
    This is fabulous information !
    ... exactly what I needed to know
    Thank you so much for taking the time to put your answer together!
    ... off to get my resources in line and start on a new adventure!

best cheers
    Louise
    MDM
    :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice