Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I want to turn my laptop keyboard and trackpad into an all-in-one keyboard and mouse

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
I want to remove the monitor, basically gut it, and turn the keyboard and trackpad of my laptop into a keyboard with built-in mouse for my desktop. It's an old laptop that I was thinking about throwing away anyway, so I might as well turn it into something useful.

look at attachment.

I want be able to connect that to my desktop with USB and be able to use it as both keyboard and mouse (have both the keyboard and trackpad work)

My desktop is right next to my bed, so I sometimes swing the monitor around and put the keyboard and mouse on the bed. But it's damn hard to use a mouse when you have bedsheets and blankets and other stuff that's soft as a surface.

Also, I can't have any compatibility problems, it needs to work with all 3 systems in my house that I may want to connect it to. Mac OS, Windows XP/Vista, and Linux (Ubuntu and Fedora)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Step 1) Disconnect the keyboard and touchpad from the motherboard

Step 2) Remove the motherboard and any other hardware, like hard disk drives and optical drive.

Step 3) Figure out the exact pinout of the connectors used for the keyboard and touchpad.

Step 4) Design and build a custom micro-controller circuit board with interfaces to the keyboard and touchpad and having a USB client external interface. The entire design can not consume more power than permitted per USB specifications. It must also fit into the laptop's housing.

Step 5) Install the custom board in the old laptop housing and connect the keyboard and touchpad to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.