1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i want to uninstall windows 98:(

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ankit, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ankit

Ankit Thread Starter

how do i do a clean start of windows 98 without using any cd's or reinstallations ??????

the thing is , is that when i bought this computer i had windows 95 on it and i installed windows 98 second edition over it how do i make a clean windows 98 start ?????

as in starting all over again from where windows 98 left off ?!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

You cant without the cd's.

to make a clean start, you would have to format your hard drive. this deletes all information on it.

You then need to reinstall an operating system on it.......hence the need for cd's.

not sure what you mean by "starting all over again from where windows 98 left off".

It is possible that you have the windows 98 cab files on your harddisk (usually in c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\win98).

If you do, then you can delete your windows directory only(moving the files out of it first)and reinstall from there but you will still have to reinstall all of your applications, and you will also need your windows product key.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How was this accomplished without a cd?

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

AcaCandy said ...

Pirated, I guess!! :rolleyes: Very rampant in India. Softwares are available even from road-side hawkers. Entire Visual Studio of 6 CDs is available for Rs. 1000 (USD 20 @ Rs. 50 per USD)!!

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ankit:

Run DISK CLEANUP and delete everything in there.

Go to Start - Find - Files And Folders and delete everything under:

*.TMP
    C:\TEMP\*.*
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

Once you get all that trash cleaned out, empty the Recycle Bin and defrag the hard drive.

Formatting the hard drive is a bit drastic and risky. A good cleanup and defrag will go a long ways towards making your computer run better.

Windows 98SE is a good operating system, so stick with it.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice