1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to upgrade to windows vista but am afraid!...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ladex142, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

Hi everyone :) , I have a Hp Pavilion dv9030us and i would like to upgrade to windows vista, but am kind of afraid, i mean, i want to do a clean install from scratch i don't know how to go about it, plus i have this crazy but yet funny fear that as soon as i partition my hard drive to do a clean install, the touch-pad would just stop working :D . Since its driver is installed on the hard drive. Ok, another issue is the quick-play system that came with the laptop, how would i get it working back after the new windows vista is installed. Can you believe i had a chat with hp rep. online and he started saying of sorts of non sense, telling me that i'll lose the quick-play. I know it's just a matter of downloading a driver online but i just can't seem to find it on hp's site.

And lastly, i checked hp's website for windows vista drivers for my laptop and i just find a few listed under windows vista, but as i take a look under windows xp drivers for my specific laptop model, i found alot of drivers there, so am wondering whether it's all good to download the few drivers available for windows vista and the rest listed under windows xp e.g my graphic card drivers. (Note: My laptop did not come with drivers installation disc)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!! Mi please :D

2. techy689

techy689

Don't worry. HP has until Vista launch (tomorrow) to get all their drivers for Vista on their website. I have an HP dv9000t and have already used the Vista RC1 on my notebook. The mouse pad still works (without the drivers), but if you really want the drivers they can be found using the Windows Update.

Also, I am getting Vista through HP as a promotion and they said I will get a CD which includes all the original HP drivers. So when I get them I am sure they will also be available on the HP website. However, I don't think I will be getting it on Vista launch because that is when it will be shipped out. So by the latest I should have my Vista copy by around February 10.

In conclusion, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR! Even if the drivers aren't at the HP website, almost all of them can be found through Microsoft. I have successfully downloaded both the Synaptic touchpad and nVidia graphics drivers from there and they both work fine.

3. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the reply...let me just throw in another question. Do you know of any compression software that as a very very very very very :)D ) high compression ratio or do you know how i can SUPER compress large files into small size.........all in preparation for the installation of windows vista :D .

4. gurutech

gurutech

Are you backing up data files, or applications?

You will need to reinstall the applications after the Vista install if you are running a clean install. You can't just compress the applications and uncompress them on the new install - there are registry entries that would need to be backed up as well, and other supporting files (DLL and such), that would require a reinstall of the apps anyway.

5. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

what i meant was that i needed a software to compresses files at a high ratio so that it'll be easy for me to move them into some other external drive.

6. techy689

techy689

videos - mp4 music - aac

Also, i contacted hp today. They said all the drivers will be up for Vista, by latest Friday.

7. ladex142

ladex142 Thread Starter

Thanks man for your help, am making a plans for the upgrade :D .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice