1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I want to wipe my harddrive..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MirroredParadox, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MirroredParadox

MirroredParadox Thread Starter

..but I want to keep Windows 7 on there. Is there any way I can do this without having the OS CDs for Windows 7? If so, how? If not, are there any alternatives, or where could I acquire some Win7 CDs?

(The reason I want to wipe my harddrive is because I have some kind of huge problematic virus; Microsoft .NET doesn't work, I can't enable the Administrator account without breaking windows (%hs goes missing, requires startup repair), and DirectX recently stopped working. If anyone has any tips on how to solve THAT, it'd be GREATLY appreciated.)

System specs are on my profile or whatever.

Thanks in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "wipe" your harddrive? Most people mean to delete or format all the partitions. Some people mean to use a wiping program to make all data unreadable, even by the CIA or FBI. Obviously none of those procedures would leave Windows 7 or anything else usable on the disk.

I don't know of anybody with Windows 7 CDs. You can buy genuine Windows 7 Installation DVDs from many reputable retailers, such as Microsoft, Best Buy and NewEgg to name a few.

If your Recovery partition is no longer usable and you have not made your set of Recovery DVDs (or CDs) you may be able to buy a set from your PC manufacturer (for much less than the cost of a new Windows).

3. MirroredParadox

MirroredParadox Thread Starter

Thanks for the post!

By 'wipe' all I really want to do is remove anything that isn't the core operating system; i.e bring the computer back to factory settings, pretty much.

Would you happen to know how one would find out and contact their manufacturer? I believe mine is Cyberpower, not sure though.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If Cyberpower you could start here. A little difficult for me to believe that a manufacturer would not tag their machine.

Anyhow, if Windows 7 was preinstalled and is not a pirated copy you should have received a way to get back to "factory defaults." Usually these days it means a Recovery partition on the hard drive and a special Master Boot Record that allows you to boot to that partition (by tapping F11 or Esc. or whatever their chosen key is). If you can boot to that you can format the partition that now has the Windows installation and then re-image to the factory defaults.

If you can still boot to Windows 7 and you have a Recovery partition there should be a way to create a set of Recovery DVDs, but if your machine is a custom build maybe they do things differently.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!