1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Want Word back not Word Pad

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jpq123, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpq123

jpq123 Thread Starter

My hard drive crashed and I had a new one put in. The people who took it backed up my documents that were on Word 2000. They came back on Word Pad. The larger documents are not readable. My daughter puts the information I scan to her into a Word Document for me and I was able to make needed changes. Does anyone know if Word Pad will do the trick or if not where I buy Word 2000. I really don't want to spend a small fortune on Word 2003 that has more than I need. It seems like I'll never get my computer back to where I want it.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Is Word 2000 still installed on the PC?
    If so, from Explorer, select one of the DOC files, then with the Shift key held, right mouse and from the menu, select Open With
    Scroll to and select MS Word
    Ensure that "Always use this program ....." is selected
    OK your way out.

If Word 2000 is not installed, you will need to reinstall it.
    (how did it get installed in the first place, since you asked "where to buy it"?)

3. jpq123

jpq123 Thread Starter

Word is not on my PC any more. It came with the computer when I bought it from Dell bck in 1999. I don't have a disc for Word, although I have a whole bunch of Works discs. I am not a total computer illiterate but a lot of stuff is beyond my expertise. I sasked because at Microsoft.com they are selling Word 2003 for $150.00 and up. Apparently it is not freeware.

4. brykMantra

brykMantra

LOL! Um, yeah it's not freeware ... Actually I'm surprised you could get it for as low as $150.

It's always bothered me that MS Office is like $500 (unless you upgrade, or are a student or teacher), but I've recently discovered that if you buy MS Works Suite 2004 for $99, it comes with Word (not sure what version), which makes the whole thing worth it.

But try this first: Assuming the rest of your computer is the original Dell, try reinstalling Word with the Dell backup disks. Even though they don't say Word on them, they might have it.

Also: Wordpad can open most Word files, though it lacks a lot of the functionality (like tables). The version of Wordpad that comes with XP cannot save to *.doc format, only *.rtf (Rich Text formatting).

Hope this helps.

5. RHurlburt

RHurlburt

I just looked at some of my older MSWorks disks that I got with my earlier DELL(s). There are 7 disks with 2000 and 6 with 2000SR1. On disk 1 (both releases), I see MSWord. If you got those with your DELL, Word should be on the first or second disk.

Works Suite2000 has MSWord 2000. Works Suite2001 has MSWord 2000 SR1. In either case, just load the CD and choose to install MSWord.

Once you've installed them you should go to the MS site and check for upgrades to those programs.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice