1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I would like to know what you think about the gaming computer I want to build.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcdoctor, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Hey Everyone. I am planning on building a nice gaming rig. It's just a matter of when I do build it. I thought about buying off of ebay at first, but then decided that I will buy from other online stores due to the fact that if you order off of ebay and it comes to you defective, I would have to pay to ship it back. So anyways, here it goes.

Computer Case C442BKT from casedepot.com $43.00
    Asus A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard from newegg.com $79.99
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2000 MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor $279.99
    Lite-on SHM-160P6S / 16x8x8x16 DVD+RW $29.99
    EVGA Geforce 7600 GT KO / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video card from tigerdirect.com $139.99
    1GB kit 512MBx2 PC3200 DDR RAM from crucial.com $117.99
    Seagate 250 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive from tigerdirect.com $84.99

Sub Total: $775.94
    Sales Tax at 6%: $46.56
    Grand Total: $822.50

I don't know if newegg or tiger direct charges sales tax. These prices also do not include shipping costs as well. I want this computer to last me a long time as well. If you can find really good parts at cheaper prices, then I would also go that direction as well. Just let me know what you think and if you find cheaper parts, let me know about that as well. I can also provide links to items if needbe. I'm also considering adding a sound card which would bring the grand total to slightly over 900. Oh and if I am going 64-bit, I would need to add a 64-bit OS as well.

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Moved this to hardware--most people in Random wouldn't really have an opinion.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

I will tell you right off they are going to gell you to change the MOBO to this one:

Asus A8R-MVP Radeon Xpress 200

for better dual Core support.

Also, people will ask about the Power Supply and will tell you to get a good one. ;)

They will also tell you to go Dual Core and to wait for a few days because the AMD prices are dropping.

4. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

I'm planning on building this computer within the next year or so. Also, why should I go to the different motherboard and what is the price for it? Why go Dual Core? And I am hoping to get a 600W Power Supply in the case I buy. If it dosen't have that much wattage, then I would put in a 600W Power Supply.

5. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

After doing some research with Dual Core, that would be well out of my price range.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some thoughts.

Most [however not all] power supplies that come with cases are junk. the expection to this would be a case / ps by antect or enermax.
    I like to buy a case without a ps and put it what I want.

If you go dual core or think you might go dual core in the future, DO NOT buy a board based on the nforce 4 chipset. The nforce works fine for the single core cpus; it has problems with dual cores.

I have one basic rule. Do not buy cheap parts.

Quality hardware and properly installed software do not crash, reboot, freeze or bsod.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

Better to go with 500 Watts and a better supply--you don't need 600 for what you're putting in it.

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

9. seekermeister

seekermeister

I have that PS, and am very happy with it. But, I only have an AGP video card, and I understand that some of the SLI cards have power requirements that should be considered in purchasing. I have no personal experience with this, but it's worth thinking about. Instead of the overall voltage rating, you should look at the output of each of the rails.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you intend to use SLI you should look for a Antec, OCZ, Sparkle, or Enermax PSU that is SLI certified.

11. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Just what I figured, from doing some more research on dual core, the processor speed that I want costs over $800.

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

But you don't need as fast a processor speed when its dual core. Many of these games now are being made to take advantage of the dual core processor so they can actually run better at lower speeds using both cores. I'm not a game so I don't know a lot about game--I am just repeating what I've read researching for myself.

You are absolutely correct that a faster processor will run an application faster but only if that application does not take advantage of dual core technology.

A gamer can probably give you more insight on this.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice