1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I would like to repair or reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Royal_Flush, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Royal_Flush

Royal_Flush Thread Starter

If anyone is interested in the history of my computer they can go to this thread:
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-oth...23921-system-restore-appears-blank-white.html

Now Avast & Malwarebytes plus numerous other programs do not work properly. Spybot does work but I may still have a virus. Anyway I would like to repair or reinstall Windows. Can do a Windows repair or do I have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows? Should I format from DOS or Windows? Would someone please give me some advice and a link on how to do what I need to do as I am sure the information is in a thread on this website.

TIA,
    RF

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you are infected you need to do a "clean" install, repair will not get rid of the virus or infection.

Clean means you will delete the current C partition during XP setup and continue a clean installation of XP on the space where you deleted the C partition.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

Step 6 will look different on your PC, it should show all partitions on the hard drive, C is usually the largest partition, this is the step where you highlight the C partition and hit the D key to delete it, you will have to confirm deletion twice before it will delete, once deleted you will now see an "unallocated" partition similar to step 6, highlight that and hit enter key to install XP on the unallocated partition you created by deleting C, follow the prompts to get XP installed, I choose NTFS Quick for format option. Be sure you highlight the correct partition before deleting it.

Back up your personal data before you do a clean install, as everything will be erased.

3. Royal_Flush

Thanks for your response, however I am concerned that by backing up my personal data with my Seagate external drive that I will reinfect my newly installed operating system when reinstalling it. Is there any danger in scanning the external drive with another computer for virus and malware etc. before doing a reinstall?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yes, if autorun is enabled on the host OS it could become infected when the usb drive is connected

Autorun can be disabled by using this fixit from Microsoft. Do this prior to connecting the drive.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Scroll down to "How to disable or enable all Autorun features in Windows 7 and other operating systems"
    Run the "Disable Autorun"

You can re-enable it later if needed, I recommend leaving it disabled in XP.

5. Royal_Flush

XP is installed but when I install Avast free edition the blue scroling bar on the black Windows startup screen freezes. I had to use safe mode to uninstall Avast. I tried it a 2nd time with the same result. Never had a problem with Avast and XP, Vista or 7. I installed MS Security Essentials for which MS specifies upon it's installation that it could conflict with other virus and malware removal tools and recommends they be uninstalled before it's installation. Do you think that this will provide adequate protection?

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. blues_harp28

You edited your post after my reply!!

You only need one Anti-virus program and yes, any other real-time spyware program etc, may cause a conflict.
    What else do you have installed?

8. Royal_Flush

Thanks did that. Now in installing the driver for Sound controller I get the message:

"There was a problem installing this hardware:
    C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    This device cannot start [Code 10]"

The troubleshooter suggests uninstallling and reinstalling the device, is this advisable?

9. blues_harp28

10. Royal_Flush

I tried downloading their driver and it didn't solve the problem. The driver installation wizard says its not a better match than the one I currently have installed. I folowed the steps in the troubleshooter with the exception of physically uninstlalling it without success.

Under Resource Settings it says:
    "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem."

Under Devnode Flags:
    DN_HAS_PROBLEM
    DN_DISABLEABLE
    DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
    DN_NT_DRIVER

Everything else appears normal except of course the exclaimation mark beside it in Device Manager.

11. blues_harp28

What is lsted in Device Manager under - Sound Video And Game Controllers?

12. Royal_Flush

Correct. I wonder if just possibly it could be affected by the Autorun being disabled?

13. blues_harp28

Autorun would stop any USB device etc that you connect to your Pc from running.
    That would not stop you installing drivers etc.

Is AC97 Audio listed in Device Manager?

Downloading all needed drivers to say a Cd - before re-installing Xp is always the best route.

What exclamation marks [yellow - red] are showing in Device Manager?

14. Royal_Flush

It is listed in device manager as:
    C-Media AC97 Audio Device

There is a yellow exclaimation mark beside it.

I can downnload any needed drivers on any of my other computers including the one with the current problem.

The message that the device cannot start [Code 10] whatever that means? Suggests to me that the problem is not the driver as repeated attempts have failed to find a better driver BWDIK!

15. Royal_Flush

In the BIOS the "INTEL OnChip PCI Device" are;
    "AC97" set to "Auto"
    "Onboard Lan Control" "Enabled"

I wonder if by reinstalling windows the BIOS has been reset to default and thereby some how disabled the AC97?

within PnP/PCI Configurations;
    "Reset configuration Data" "Disabled"
    "Resources Controlled By" "Auto(ESCD)"
    "PCI/VGA Palette Snoop" "Disabled"
    All "PCI IRQ Assignment" "Auto"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice