1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I would like to take a HD from a PC that needs a new Mother board replaced and put

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stomp, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

I would like to take a HD from a PC that needs a new Mother board replaced and put it into a computer that works. Can I do that? I have the HD in a usb case for now so that I can save drivers to it but, where from the good PC are the drivers?

2. Jones

Jones

Are you saying you want to use this hard drive as an additional one in the new computer?

If so, you shouldn't need any drivers for it to be detected.

If you want to use it as your main hard drive, you will need to completely reinstall Windows on it for it to work in a new system.

3. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

Thats too bad thanks. It gets so close to loading but I can't 'Ctrl' 'Alt' 'Delete' to log in because the USB port is not being recognized. Bummer

4. Jones

Jones

What operating system are you using on the new computer? Windows XP should automatically detect a USB HD, but older versions may need drivers from the company that makes the HD enclosure. You can usually find them on the mfg's website.

5. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

I'm using win 2000 but I get that far with the HD installed as master. The USB is for the keyboard. So that I can hit 'Ctrl' 'Alt' 'Delete' to log in.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I am confused as to what you are trying to do.

Are you attempting to install the drive into a usb enclosure and then try and boot from it? If so, it will not work.
    Are you trying to just access the drive so as to copy files, etc?

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I think it's reasonably clear that the poster is trying to boot the PC from the drive, installed on the IDE as Master?

Windows will be force feeding all the wrong driver software that was "installed" into Windows when it was installed on the old HDD.

Now you have different hardware, its unlikely to work. The non-recognition of USB is the first sign, many more will follow.

As earlier in the thread, you really should do a fresh install of Windows.

8. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

Yes

Can I get to to a folder that holds all the driver info for the hardware?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While it is possible to move an os from one system to another or swap boards without a reinstall, in this case you cannot do it. The process starts with the old board still installed. Since this is no longer the case, your options are as follows;

1 Do a clean install of windows.
    2 Do a repair install of windows.

Note if this os came from a pre-built system ie dell, hp, compaq, etc, you will need to purchase the os. OEM is married to the original hardware.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/518342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice