1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i3 4130 for i5 4690k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bounty-hunter-tm, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bounty-hunter-tm

bounty-hunter-tm Thread Starter

hi chaps,
    just bought a i5 4690k and would I just be able to do a straight swap with my old i3 4130
    the motherboard is a Asrock H81m socket 1150

will I have to change the bios ?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to have BIOS version P1.60 or higher to support the i5-4690K: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M/?cat=CPU
    There are no changes that need to be made in the BIOS to switch processors, the BIOS just needs to support it.

Did the CPU you bought come with a new cooler? Do you plan on overclocking it since it's a K model? If so you may want an aftermarket cooler for it as well.

3. bounty-hunter-tm

bounty-hunter-tm Thread Starter

That's great I have a bios version p1.90 , I have a liquid cooler but I don't think I will need to overclock it - I have no need to ...
    thanks for the reply Triple6.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice