1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i5 3550

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flyer0101, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyer0101

flyer0101 Dylan Thread Starter

Hey guys, I've just built a computer for a friend and i think its running a little hot. Its just using the stock cooling fan from Intel and on idle its at 71 degrees Celsius and when running a torture test using prime95 after about 60 seconds its at 104 degrees Celsius.

Are these temps high or not?

If they are i will try re-seat the CPU and apply new thermal compound or should I purchase a new CPU cooler?

Thanks for any help,
    flyer0101

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

They are excessively high. You definitely need to reseat the heatsink and remove all the old thermal pad and apply new paste and take great care when installing the heatsink again, my guess is that one of the legs isn't going through the motherboard and locking in place correctly.

3. flyer0101

ive reseated and reapplied the heatsink. the temps are now 30 Degrees celcius idle and 70 under load. is 70 still a little high under load using prime95 torture test?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

70 is still a tad high. Max I think is 67 or so. An aftermarket cooler with something like Artic Silver 5 would likely help.

5. flyer0101

alrite, thanks for the help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058485