Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I5 vs. i7, 11th vs. 10gen, for my new laptop running a DAW?

865 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bj nick 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new laptop with certain requirements, as I'm going to be using a DAW (Cubase) along with a sampling library. Most of my work will be on a powerful desktop; I do not need top-end laptop capability-- but I'd like to be able to work on shared projects.

For the laptop I need: i7, 2.7-5.00 ghz cpu, 1T SSD, 16-32G RAM, touchscreen, backlit keyboard. It's actually been difficult to find ALL of these on one laptop without spending $~2500 minimum. There's always one element I can't get, be it the backlit keys, or touch screen, or only 512G SSD. I need it all.

The one that seems perfect....finally.....is an 11th gen i5. So my big questions are: 11th gen vs. 10 gen? i5 vs. i7? Is the difference worth spending much more?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

#3 ·
Yes, looked at all that.....also researched the requirements for the sampling libraries as well. I'm solid on what I am supposed to have on equipment. What I don't know/understand is enough about i5 vs. i7, as I mentioned, 10th vs. 11th gen, etc. It's all opaque to me.....is 11th gen worth it for supposed enhancements, with less cores? 10th has more cores....does that matter if both fit the requirement? Is it worth compromising for example, is it better to get an i5 with plenty of cpu speed, or an i7 which seems to have similar speed, but is "supposed" to be more powerful......I'm trying to think down the road a little.....baseline requirement always trends up.....i7 fine for a laptop (I'll have i9 for the desktop), but is i5 good enough? It's okay NOW, but in two years? It's complicated to me....

#5 ·
Di

Thank you. Getting all the "cold hard data" isn't much help, my eyes get glazed.....I know all the data is there, but it can be confusing, and I was just hoping to get some steely-eyed "take it from me, son, for what you're looking to do, here's the way to go" type of thing. I see lots of different takes on this stuff....some say to forego 11th gen and stick with 10th gen, for example.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.