1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i7-2960XM vs. i7-2860QM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomiboi, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomiboi

tomiboi Thread Starter

I'm buying a ThinkPad W520, and I'm wondering whether getting the i7-2960XM is worth the additional $550.

I do need the power, but I'm not sure if there will be a big difference.

The i7-2860QM is pretty powerful and pretty close in terms of specs.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    The first set of results - the higher the number the better - the 2nd number the lower
    Code:
    Intel Core i7-2960XM @ 2.70GHz	        8977	       19
    Intel Core i7-2860QM @ 2.50GHz       7886	       30

to answer your question however, is it worth $550
    depends on what your needs are - depends on if you are using very intense CPU dependant programs - best way to find out is to use your current PC and try some of the things you intend to use if possible and then use the performance tab on task manager (control - alt - deleted keys together) see if the CPU is at 100% for the majority of the time

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice