1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i7 3770 unstable with Z77 chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RobertHenry, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobertHenry

RobertHenry Thread Starter

I built a desktop using the following new components, it boots after several crashes may run for hours but crashes as soon as a program such as a browser is opened.
    Intel i7 3770 cpu
    GA-Z77X-UP4TH mb
    900w Antec psu
    2 x 8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Ram CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 (pair)
    2 x 4 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Ram CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B
    Have tested these as alternatives in slots 1& 2 as recommended but also in 3 & 4
    WD green 1T drive
    LiteON DVD Burner
    USB 3 riser plugged into mb
    USB 2 riser plugged into mb
    usb key board Mouse Dell U2312 works on vga DVI or TH port
    COODmax case
    Bios upgraded to f9 (as shipped f2 will not supposed to run i7 cpu but it does) Have used Bios defaults and numerous customizations to no effect eg XMP
    Unable to install an OS from CD to the WD because of instability, but it will boot from Debian10 or LMDE Cindy on a USB key and sometimes run for hours if it is not used, crashes when a program is opened or the OS starts to write to disc.
    Cpu is installed to match notches smear of thermal paste (as done for 18yrs on 10-12 PCs ) Fan seated firmly all 4 pins through mb fan spins (very fast at times), Ram clipped in snuggly and end clips sprung into place electrical cables ATX etc firmly plugged in.
    What have I done wrong?

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

well for one thing you have mismatched ram , one set has different timings and different frequencies. Try running just the 2X8GB 1600C9 pair first, Try testing all with Memtest 86

Create a bootable CD-ROM, Also an option to run it as a bootable USB

Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO "

Create a bootable CD-ROM, Also an option to run it as a bootable USB

1.Download the Windows MemTest86 ISO image.

2.Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here� option. This places the CD-ROM ISO image into the current folder.

3.Use the CD burning software available on your system to create a CD-ROM using the extracted ISO image. Be sure that you create a CD image from the ISO file rather than placing a copy of the ISO file onto a data CD. Look for �Burn Image from File� or similar option under the File menu of your CD burning software.

3. RobertHenry

Hello lynx1021
    Ran Memtest (nearly 2hrs ) on the 2x4GB pair 4 passes 44 tests 100% 0 errors.
    This seems to imply that not only is this RAM good but the CPU is not faulty and the MB connections between RAM and CPU are good.
    Thanks for introducing me to the test, I have been testing memory with the option that comes with the OS iso file, possibly does the same thing but the memtest site was useful to read.
    I have been using the 2pairs of sticks as alternatives to see if the RAM was the problem ( not concurrently) They both get cut back to 1333MHz unless XMP is enabled.
    CPU ran as hot as 73C when the test would sleep for awhile and then start again at around 57C. Have set in the bios a warning at 70C but this has never been enacted.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

If you are running a linux distro from a USB stick ,and it still crashes , that usually indicates a hardware problem. I usually run Memtest over night. You said the "test would sleep" , I never seen that but I have only used it on older 775 boards and a few laptops. You might want to check and make sure you don't have any standoffs in the wrong place. You can try an out of the case test with just the minimum stuff connected. when you say it crashes do you mean it shuts down or reboots? Have you tried the trouble shooting guide here:? https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

5. RobertHenry

Hello lynx1021
    By crash I mean that the screen goes blank and it reboots to the POST and then I select the boot device and it may load the OS. I may try 10-20 times to get the OS (Debian 10 or LMDE 3 it makes no difference it is not an OS issue ) up and running. Once running it seldom crashes unless I open a browser or try to use the soft ware installer Synaptic. When it POSTs and when it loads the OS the CPU fan revs very fast (sounds like a hive of bees) Suggests to me that the CPU overheats under load. Cf with memtest86 cpu temp rose to low 70's when it would be suspended and start again 5 min later when it had cooled to mid 50's
    I installed lm sensors and psensor but they both give temps in upper 20's to low 40's dependent on ambient I cannot get the temp at the moment of the crash nor the high speed fan temp or revs (No
    OS active ) Does the cpu temp soar very rapidly under load and it shuts down to save itself ?
    Read the Trouble Shooting Guide, good clear advice.
    Pulled the MB out, no standoffs in wrong place, the 4 cpu fan pins were all through the board locking the fan to the cpu correctly.
    Ran the system out of case with just mouse, KB, display, +/- ethernet and booted off one or other of the linux keys. No HDD, CDrom, USB risers just the power sw Seemed a bit more stable but still often had multiple reboots and I could guarantee to crash it by opening Chrome or Firefox. Yet it would work for an hour or so with a word program not crash and I saved it to USB key. Have run with just one RAM stick but no difference. Thanks for your help what next can I do?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If I am reading your post correctly, the processor is getting to 73C when running memtest. That is WAY too hot. There is little or no load on the processor when running memtest. If you boot into the bios, what does the bios show for your cpu temp? On a gigabyte board, temps and voltages should be under Health or PC Health however read your motherboard manual. Let it run in the bios for at least 2~3min to stabilize temps/voltages. Post the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

7. RobertHenry

After warming up with Debian for 20mins it crashed rebooted and I entered the Bios ran 5 mins while I browsed various settings
    CPU 43C
    +3.3v reads 3.363v cannot find reading for the 5v rail
    +12v reads 12.240v
    CPU temp varying from 40-44C while I watch
    System T 36-37C
    CPU Fan 1100 to 1250 rpm
    CPU vcore 1.104v stable
    D Ram v 1.536v stable
    Memory 1334.xx to 1335.xx MHz
    CPU 38xx to 39xx MHz changes rapidly in this range with time
    Default is Turbo Charged and no XMP. Setting it to XMP lets RAM run at its max rate but does not alter stability. Disabling Turbo Charge sets CPU back to its listed 3.4 GHz but does not improve stability.
    From within OS (Debian10 ) using Psensor CPU cores were reading in 40's at 20% CPU use and fan to 1240rpm. Then it crashed as always without warning.
    I cannot get a temp reading just before POST when the fan is screaming or during loading the OS. There is no change in fan speed before a crash from within the OS nor rising Temp.. The high speed fan at post and the 70-73C readings from memtest suggest a temperature problem. Yet the fan seems correctly installed, the CPU will only go in one way & from memtest CPU, board and RAM seem to be properly connected.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should not get hot when running memtest however the temps you posted while running are normal. If you are running linux, you can install the linux version of prime95 and run that to check temps under a load. Here is a link to download either windows or linux ver of prime95;
    https://www.mersenne.org/download/
    Do some reading about how to run the linux version. It has been quite a while since I have used linux however [I think] you open the folder in which you extracted prime95 in the terminal and type "mprime" without quotes however do read some instructions OR ask in the linux forum.

9. RobertHenry

Prime95 runs with no problem on my current desktop ! (mersenne gives me a headache, like bitcoin)
    The problem is I cannot get the i7 3770 on Z77 "Thie" on line. It always crashes when I open a browser even when no Ethernet cable is connected ( or start to install software on line from OS CD or Synaptic both of which go online). I can install any software I like on the Linux USB drive by running it on another PC then using it to Boot "Thie".
    Is there a stress test (for Linux .deb ) that I can load on the USB then run it on Thie ? I do appreciate the help given.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will have to ask in the linux forum. It has been a long time since I have used linux.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice