1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i7 67i700k temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mhl12345, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

i have an i7 6700k at stock speeds under aida 64 i get max core temps of 73c max avg core temp around 66c after 10minutes wonder if these temps seem fine or are they a little high using 212evo with 3000 rpm noctua fan 2 intake case fans and 1 exahaust

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

TCase is 64C
    Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader

Core temp is usually approx. 5C more - eg TCase 64 - Core 69

the processor is capable of thermal monitoring
    Thermal Monitoring Technologies protect the processor package and the system from thermal failure through several thermal management features. An on-die Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) detects the core's temperature, and the thermal management features reduce package power consumption and thereby temperature when required in order to remain within normal operating limits

Is this a new build has it always apparently run at these temps
    the Coolermaster 212 Evo requires only a thin layer of thermal compound/grease and I mean thin - spread across the surface of the cooler base.

There is no better conductor of heat than metal to metal and the compound is ONLY to fill the microscopic - invisible to human eye - imperfections in the processor and the cooler plates - too much can result in less efficient cooling

although TCase is 64
    the full spec for the processor is
    Tcase (CPU temp) = 64C
    Tjunction (Core temp) = 69C
    Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

at TjMax it will as shown throttle to protect itself

see here
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/105698

I would check temps in BIOS and on that Intel test in the link.

Are those results in AIDA on stress test if so they are OK

This will help you understand the situation in detail
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum...uide.html?_ga=1.22393336.237667961.1486831395

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not posted your exact motherboard. Quite often quality board mfg will have purpose designed software for monitoring temps and voltages. This is a much better way to go than with a third party program.
    If you are using a 212 type cooler, some common errors;
    1 Bottom of heatsink or fan contacts the top of the ram chips and or northbridge heatsink. This results in poor contact between the cpu and cooler
    2 Fan is installed so as to blow air back toward the center of the case rather than toward an exhaust fan
    3 Alignment pin is not engaged correctly again resulting in insufficient clamping force between the cooler and cpu.

The coolermaster 212 coolers are excellent however they are not the easiest things to install correctly. Right now this VERY overclocked fx6350 is running @27C under a light load. It will get to 55C or so when running prime95

Attached Files:

5. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

teps were a little higher took off heatsink reapplied paste think i did have a little to much the first time and also upgraded stock fan to 3000 rpm noctua fan heatsink does move slightly but ive seen people post that this is normal on 212 evo fan blows into heatsink pointed towards rear exhaust fan

6. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

im going by tenps in aida 64 which are acttually slightly lower than temps in hw monitor

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You still have not posted your exact motherboard. As I said, purpose designed monitoring software is MUCH preferable to hwm or any other third party. You will get the most accurate info from the program designed by the board mfg.
    You have also not stated whether those temps were while stress testing or just under a normal load.
    Your temp is acceptable IF you are stress testing. If that temp is when the system is under a normal load, it is too hot.
    Normally a 212 type cooler [If properly installed] would not exceed 60C or so when stress testing. This is affected by a number of things; case airflow, ambient temp, quality pw supply, etc.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  8. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

i have biostar b150s1 d4 mother boARD TEMPS ONLY GO ABOUVE MID 60S UNDER STRESS TEST they do get and hover in mid 60s running handbrake for decent periods of time

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=825#specification
    There is a utility for monitoring temps. I would highly advise you to download and use that rather than a third party monitoring program.
    Mid 60s under a normal load is still pretty warm; within specs however pretty warm. With a properly installed 212 cooler, I would expect to see temps in the mid 30s under normal load and maybe 55C under prime95 or IBT.

10. Macboatmaster

I recommend in addition to the suggestions my colleague a check with my posted Intel processor diagnostic - in my first reply - post 2
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I cannot see this as correct
    heatsink does move slightly

I do not doubt what you say - what I seriously doubt is that it should do.
    You cannot IMHO have a heatsink that moves.
    If you can move it under VERY slight pressure, then I venture to suggest it is being moved as the fan kicks in and that CANNOT be right.

Unless I have misunderstood your word move

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 212 cooler does move under moderate pressure. That is normal. I have installed at least 30 of them and all of them move slightly.
    I still think a stock intel chip should run in the mid 30s with that cooler provided it is properly installed.

12. Macboatmaster

I did not know that
    I certainly agree on temps

13. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

anything with avx instructions gets it hot other things are significantly lower i have a locked motherboard cpu is set to auto volt it goes up to 1.32 or somthing like that stock is 1.2 would a zclass mobo with set volatage help any

14. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

my 212 evo dosnt move with out a little pressure against i can tak fan off and back on with out moving it but if i bump it good it moves some

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is normal.
    Before purchasing a different mb, I would check some other things;
    1 Case airflow. How does the inside of the case look? Clean without cables running all over OR does it look like a rat's nest?
    2 Placement of fans. Intake fan at the lower front and exhaust fan at the top rear of the case
    3 Quality case AND quality pw supply. A lower quality pw supply can make the system run hotter than with a high end pw supply. A high quality case has good cable mgt so the inside is neat and clean
    4 Cooler itself. While it is not common, the base of the cooler can warp causing a loss of contact between the cooler and the cpu heat spreader. To check this, pull the cooler and clean it completely. Now place it on a mirror or other known flat surface. Does it rest flush or does it wobble? When I install one of these type coolers, I test fit everything prior to applying compound. If you use the compound that comes with the 212, it is more viscus than arctic silver and harder to spread. I place a finger inside a plastic bag to spread the compound. Remember too much compound acts as an insulator and will impede the transfer of heat energy.

While I am not a fan of biostar, their boards are not all that bad. I consider them a mid-level mfg on par with msi or asrock. Not up to the quality of a high end asus board however not junk either. I would thoroughly investigate all of the above before condemning the motherboard.

16. mhl12345

mhl12345 Thread Starter

have replaces paste and reseated heatsink max temps now on prime are 65 and avg of 59 60 also added secon fan the 2 fans are actually quiter under normal use as each fan runs slower

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!