1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i7 920 Overclocking, help!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alkison, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alkison

Alkison Thread Starter

Okay so here is the problem, I can not get my core i7 920 to overclock past 3.39ghz. I have a zalman 9900 (specs) air cooler and have heard of people taking it much higher than this with this CPU fan. It wont even boot past that, just shuts down. Any suggestions, mainly I just want to get it past 3.5 to bench mark it for a second then switch it back?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not all chips are created equal when it comes to overclocking, Basically if the chip was 100% stable at a higher speed it would be sold as a faster chip.

And you have just proved the limit for yours....

3. Alkison

Alkison Thread Starter

I know that and I agree (not all chips are created equal), but people on other forums sites are talking about how they easily get 3.5ghz with air cooling. Also that's not pushing the limits many people have already done 4ghz with liquid cooling, so I have obviously have not reached its limits, you don't know this?

4. casper0191

casper0191

Well do you think that your PSu is enough to support that overclock?

5. Alkison

Alkison Thread Starter

1010watts, ya that's more than enough.

6. peck1234

peck1234

On i7 chipsets, as you raise the blk frequency of the cpu it automanically adjust's the multiplier for the ram..

Make sure lower the multiplier on the ram to equal the stock mhz setting...

That's what's probably shutting you down..

7. Alkison

Alkison Thread Starter

Okay thanks that worked and I was able to get it to 3.59ghz and my ram at 1087MHz (stock 1067) . I think think 1087 is the lowest i can put it, what is the highest my ram can be at?

Edit: Also people have been becnhmarking a couple hundred points higher than mine. When they have like 3GB of ram and I have 12GB. I see there memory type says 1033 Mhz and mine says 800MHz, is this really a big difference compared to how much ram I have?

8. Alkison

Alkison Thread Starter

But now it is not using all of my ram, is it because I am only using the 32bit geekbench, but I have use 32bit and it has read all of my RAM. I know the RAM frequency is at like 1442MHz now or something, is that why? But I'm happy, I wanted to break 10,000!

[​IMG]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice