1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i7 quad or dual core?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iworld, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iworld

iworld Thread Starter

Hey,

So I am looking into a laptop to purchase, and I came accross the intel i7 processor and I am wondering which i7 is better - the core i7-620m 2.66GHz, which is dual core or the Core i7-720QM 1.60GHz.

If I have one program open, like After Effects, which processor will it run better on? I know the quadcore is better for multiple processes, but will it run After Effects on 1.60ghz instead of a 2.66 core?

2. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

I would assume the quad core is still better. I personally use a core i5 with 4 cores instead of 2. It seems to act like a dual when running only one or two thinks say for instance, when I close everything to render or finalize a video I've been editing. If you watch, the processors will be running in sync, 1/3 and 2/4 acting identical. As far as personal experience, my dual core desktop has nothing on my quad core laptop. But my laptop has double the memory too... Hope that helps a little bit.

3. iworld

iworld Thread Starter

How did you pull off getting 4 cores on an i5? I thought they were only dual core.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Nope, Intel made a mess of the Core i family, there are dual core and quad core versions of the i5 and i7 families.

Both i5's and i7's support Turbo modes allowing the processor to turn off cores and boost speed on the remaining active cores. For example the i7-620M will clock up to 3.33Ghz and the i7-720QM will go up to 2.8Ghz when only one or two cores are needed.

5. iworld

iworld Thread Starter

So then the i7-620M should be better then, because it can boost to more ghz than the i7-720QM... right?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Well not necessarily. The 620M is only dual core, the 720QM is a quad core, it has two more cores and a greater cache and the 620M will only turbo to that speed using one of its cores. They both support HyperThreading so they emulate additional cores to further boost multi-tasking. Most photo, video, design, and CAD programs are designed to take advantage of multiple cores, as are more and more new games. I suspect After Effects would run better on the quad. But the i7-720 will use more battery then the i7-620QM if thats a consideration.

The clock speed increases as it shuts down cores.

For the i7-720QM:
    1.60GHz Base
    1.73GHz Quad Core Turbo
    2.40GHz Dual Core Turbo
    2.80GHz Single Core Turbo

For the i7-620M:
    2.66GHz Base
    3.06GHz Dual Core Turbo
    3.33GHz Single Core Turbo

Dual core is generally enough for most people, and its generally more affordable, and generally gives better battery life.

7. iworld

iworld Thread Starter

From those numbers, you really made the i7-620M look a lot more appetizing to buy. Better battery life, and it operates faster with 2 cores.

Any idea of a good quality laptop with that processor? I'm looking for something thats portable (so nothing more than a 15" screen), and thats reliable. I do a lot of graphic design - I use a lot of Adobe products so I need performance as well. My budget is under $1500, but i'm looking for something preferably under a grand.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You may want to check out Lenovo, off-hand I haven't looked at any in a while but Lenovo is hard to beat for quality.

9. iworld

iworld Thread Starter

I see that your from Canada as well, and I have never seen a Lenovo laptop being sold anywhere in Toronto. Any idea where I can pick one up from a store, or does it have to be online?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

11. iworld

iworld Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919985