Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i7 - Triple Channel VS. Dual Channel

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  paulb100 
#1 ·
someone suggested I change my i7 spec from s 1366 2.66Ghz i7 and 6Gb 1333mhz Triple Channel memory to 1156 2.8Ghz i7 and 4Gb 1600Mhz Dual Channel Memory ...

im wondering what kind of an performance impact will moving from Triple channel board and memory to dual-channel board and memory have - will this impact performance much?

thanks

#2 ·
Well it seems that you are upping the CPU from 2.66 to 2.8 this would probably balence out the tripple down to dual channel performance loss if not beat it. But then you are going from 6gb to only 4gb of RAM so that would probably lower performance on some really demanding programs or some seriously intense multi-tasking.

#3 ·
Well it seems that you are upping the CPU from 2.66 to 2.8 this would probably balence out the tripple down to dual channel performance loss if not beat it. But then you are going from 6gb to only 4gb of RAM so that would probably lower performance on some really demanding programs or some seriously intense multi-tasking.
thanks, but i have to disagree on the RAM - there are hardly any applications that would make use of such amounts of RAM (even 4Gb) and also the 4Gb RAM is faster @ 1600Mhz - I have 2Gb on my system and it never goes over 50% used... (only 25% used on boot) - so the decrease in RAM is insignificant - until all/most applications actually use 6Gb of ram - only thing i can think of is 64-Bit AutoCAD and Adobe ...which he wont be using

thanks for advice, I thought that the extra speed from RAM + CPU would sorta compensate

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.