1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i8042prt driver is corrupt?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tbcgregory, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbcgregory

tbcgregory Thread Starter

I posted this in hardware until I realized it might get more software guys on the case in here.

I'm on an old Dell Dimension 2100, running XP (32 bit). It's my podcast/music workhorse, and would like to keep it.

I've had a malware problem for a week or so. I downloaded the TDSSKiller and it found a handful of false alarms, but one was the i8042prt.sys, and it said it was high risk and suggested to "cure" it. I went ahead, and after the reboot (being that the i8042prt is the driver for my mouse and keyboard), I had no mouse or keyboard.

I'm currently using a USB mouse and keyboard to figure this out, but they're borrowed, plus I need the USB space.

The i8042prt.sys file is still in the Drivers folder in the System32 folder. I'm guessing it's "deactivated" or something? I've gone through device manager, and through keyboard and mouse on the control panel to try and upgrade the driver, and it's a no go.

I've tried doing a system restore, which I attempted a week ago (and had many dates to choose from), but when I tried it yesterday, it only held that morning's date and time in there. No options.

I've tried doing a manual Windows update from the site, but they act like I don't have an iexplorer beyond 5 (I have 7) and take me to a "thanks for trying" screen. I've changed the time of the automatic updates to an hour later, and it hasn't updated (I did that twice last night).

Is there a way to undo this within the computer? Or something I can download? Again, the i8042prt file is still there. I don't know what it means that it's "cured" by TDSSKiller. TDSSKiller, by the way, has no undo. Its not technically a program, so every time you open it, it acts as though it's never been opened.

Thanks guys!

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

The I8042prt.sys is a system function driver found in Microsoft Windows 2000 and later versions for PS/2-style keyboard and mouse devices. If I8042PRT.sys is disabled or missing from the Registry this could be the cause. You stated it hasn't been removed from the system32/driver folder. A system restore wouldn't fix the registry error since TDSSKiller made changes or damage... Your keyboard and mouse are recognized by the server as USB devices...First check in Device Manager, a black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field appears next to these devices?

Lets check your registry. Here is the key: HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ i8042prt:Imagepath=System32\Drivers\i8042prt.sys
    It should be there can you check to see if it's still there? Here's how:

Click Start > Run > Type: regedit

When Registry editor opens expand local machine> system >CurrentControlSet> Services> (Scroll down till you see i8042prt and click on it.

And tell me what the data entries for Start (should be 1)

Then expand the i8042prt key and select "Parameter" tell me in detail listed for the layer drivers; exactly what you see then select "Enum" Tell me if you see a file name "1" and data: ACPI\PNP0F13\4&1506bb2e&0

We might have to enable or add the port.

I'd suggest running a repair do you have your windows installation disk?

3. tbcgregory

I'm going to do this immediately when I get home this evening. Thank you so much! I'll post the data!

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

No Problem! Speak to you soon.

5. tbcgregory

There's

LayerDriver JPN (type) Reg_SZ (data) kbd101.dll
    LayerDriver KOR (type) Reg_SZ (data) kbd101a.dll

in the Parameters and you're close with the data on the "1" file in the Enum folder. Here's the data:

ACPI\PNP0303\4&264480D3&0

I do not have the installation disk, unfortunately. My CD Rom isn't exactly reading anything, and hasn't for a while. If I put a disk in there it never actually runs.

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Do you remember when the usb devices were working? Does this problem occur in Safe mode too?

Do System Restore in Safe Mode, if unable to do it in Normal Mode.

Try tapping F8 at startup, and from the list of startup selections, select Safe Mode by using UP Arrow Key to go there > then hit Enter.

Try a System Restore once there, pick a Restore Point before your problem started (if there's a restore point that goes further back prior to your malware issue I'd suggest that restore point)

Here's how to access system restore:
    Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > pick a different time > Next > etc

7. tbcgregory

USB is working fine. That's how I'm actually able to be on here right now. I borrowed a USB keyboard and mouse from work.

I can't do a system restore, because it somehow deleted all of my restore points except for one from yesterday, created after the problem. And I haven't been able to go into safemode since I've had the malware problem. It goes to blue screen. :(

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Well the only thing I could suggest is to run windows updates again and see if it will replace/install the drivers you need. BUT you want my honest opinion?
    The i8042prt.sys driver is ancient and it only controls PS/2 mice and keyboards (Doesn't affect anything else) If I were you I'd get a USB set for your own AND purchase a USB Power Extension 4 Port hub for under $20 so you have more USB slots.

9. tbcgregory

Ok. How can I run Update? I've tried setting the auto update to the next hour, coming up, but it doesn't do anything.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Here is a guide you have many options to choose from:
    (I'd like to check with a virus adviser on here to review what happened with TDSSKiller as well)
    Windows XP Configure Automatic Update Guide:

To turn on Automatic Updates yourself, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    2. Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them option.
      • Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site that apply to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not notified or interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. When the download is complete, you receive another message in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation.
        • Click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to download and install. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. However, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed.
        • You can choose to install the updates as soon as they are finished downloading. To do this, click the download message (or update icon), and then click Install. If you choose not to install the updates when they finish downloading, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.
      • Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to automatically download updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. When the download is complete, you receive another message in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation.
        • When you want to install the downloaded update, click the message (or update icon), and then click Install to install the update.
        • If you do not want to install a downloaded update, click Details, and then click to clear the check box next to that update to decline it.
      • Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to search for downloads from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site. An Automatic Updates icon and message appear in the notification area of your taskbar when new updates are available to download or to install.
        • Click the icon or message to view the updates. If you do not want to download a selected update, click to clear the check box next to that update to decline it. Click Start Download to download the selected updates. The Automatic Updates icon remains in the notification area of your taskbar while the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status.
        • When the download is complete, you receive another message in the notification area stating that the updates are ready to install. Click the Automatic Updates icon or the message, and then click Install to install the updates.
    3. Click OK.

11. tbcgregory

Yeah, I've had that set up for a while. Just checked it and it's still in place to go off at noon every day. However, it hasn't been updating lately. :/

12. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice