1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Iastor0 Error in Event Viewer(Computer Freezes)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by valley_girl1919, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919 Thread Starter

Hi! I'm looking for advice on how to troubleshoot or fix an error in Event Viewer.

Error in Event Viewer states Event ID 9 "the device, \device\ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

I have re-imaged Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Optiplex 755 and everything seemed fine at first but the user noticed that they could not restart the PC at the end of the day because a "end now network activity" message kept popping up, the only way they could shut the pc down was by the power button. After turning the pc back on everything was fine and they could log onto the network fine and the computer worked fine, but after leaving the computer on over night and checking it the next morning there was just a image of the background, no icons, I could move the cursor but that's it ctrl+alt+del did not even work, so I had to shutdown the pc by the power button. I have come to conclude that before the computer freezes completely there is a problem with pulling up a webpage, you can click on IE but nothing comes up and I also can't get into manage by right clicking on My Computer. What is weird is that other application seem to run ok until the whole system freezes up.

So, I looked in Event Viewer and noticed when the freezing starts that their is an Event ID9 error like I stated above. I have never seen this before, but am certain this is the cause of the problem. I have been setting up workstations with WinXP and have never had this problem now all of a sudden I am having the problem with a handful of Dell Optiplex 755 PC's. I have made sure that the drivers are installed and up to date. Does anyone know if running the command sfc \scannow would benefit in fixing this issue?

I have searched the internet and have not really found a solution to this. Any advice I would appreciate.

2. laker_fan

laker_fan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice