1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM 30GB HD Going Bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Racer 24, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Racer 24

Racer 24 Thread Starter

Hello,

I built my Win98SE PC in November 2000, using a new IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB Hard Drive. It's ATA-100, 3.5"LP, 7200RPM, Model #DTLA-307030. It's been working fine up until a couple months ago.

I went to boot it one day and heard the drive spin up and make a metal on metal scraping sound, very rhythmic at about 2 scrapes per second. Of course Win98SE wouldn't load, so I rebooted and the sound dissappeared, but it dumped into Safe Mode. I rebooted again with my Emergency Disk, ran a full Scandisk and it said it corrected an "hard drive incorrect capacity size" error and no bad blocks were detected. Then I reboot and the PC works fine. This has happened a couple times in the last few weeks and I'm starting to wonder if the hard drive is starting to fail. The problem is always preceeded with the metalic scraping noise, well before the OS begins loading.

After I bought the drive, I started seeing customer complaints about the IBM Deskstar 75GXP series, but never had a problem with mine, until now. Would you say it's time for another hard drive or should I be looking at a less obvious problem?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. storage_man

storage_man

Racer 24

Getting 4 years out of a harddrive is pretty good. But what I would do is get a copy of IBM's Drive fittness program. I should tell you more about what is going on. And I would make sure like real quick that I have a backup of anything important on that drive.

Storage_man

3. Racer 24

Racer 24 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll seek the IBM Drive Fitness utility. I've been burning my data files to CD more frequently now.

Thanks again.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Deskstar has been nicknamed the "Deathstar" by some, they didn't enjoy a stellar reliability reputation. Four years is probably a full life for it. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice