1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ibm 365xd Thinkpad

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 1fjef, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1fjef

1fjef Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here can direct me to fixing this laptop. It looks like its in pretty good shape. It was running but poorly and All I did was ran FDISK and FORMAT but now my problem is I cant get it to boot to the CD to run a new Windows application. I can hit F2 and get to the set up but cant seem to change the config to boot from CD. I cant tell if it even recognizes a CD drive, it doesnt if I type D: I searched around for some answers on this older PC but came up short so I was hoping someone could spare some time to help. Thanks in advance. Jef

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You said you have run FDISK and FORMAT and wiped out the hard drive?

Do you have a Windows startup disk with the generic CDROM drivers among the list of files?
    (You didn't mention if you have Windows 98/98SE or Windows ME)

Do you have a Windows CD, and is it a "full" version or "upgrade" version?

Bob Cerelli would be the one to help you. Let's see if he reads this post.

3. 1fjef

1fjef Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply-Yes I ran FDISK and FORMAT and the HD is clean. No I do not see any CDROM drivers. I have the full version WIN98SE CD. Although I also have WIN98 upgrade and WIN95 CD as well.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're in good shape, CD-wise.(y) I only have the "upgrade" Windows 98SE CD. When I did a format and Windows 98SE install, I had to use both the "upgrade" CD and the Windows 95 CD. It worked fine, but it prolonged the setup process by several minutes.

If you do not have a Windows 98SE startup disk, you need to create one via Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Startup Disk(tab).

Once you create a startup disk, leave it in the floppy drive and open the A: drive window in My Computer. You will see a list of about 20 files. If one or more of them is named oakcdrom.sys(or something like that), the generic CDROM drivers are included.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Insert the startup disk in its drive, then power on the computer.

When the black options menu screen appears, insert the Windows 98SE "full" D in its drive, then select Start computer with CDROM support and then press Enter.

At the A:\> prompt, type in X: and then press Enter.
    (Replace the "X" with the actual assigned letter for your CDROM drive)

At the X:\> prompt, type in WIN98 and then press Enter.

At the X:\WIN98> prompt, type in SETUP and then press Enter.

If all goes well, setup will start. Just follow the directions from there. Make sure to have the 25-digit product code handy, and make sure to install Windows in C:\WINDOWS.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. 1fjef

1fjef Thread Starter

Yes, The Startup Disk had oakcdrom.sys and I had everything going to the point where I now have a CDROM drive. However, I cant tell if it's working. When I get to the screen "Start computer with CDROM support" and then type in D:WIN98 the CD seems to spin but I get an error like this. CDR101:Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry, Fail? I tryed doing this with E:WIN98 just in case the drive moved up one. I thought I was going to get it but now I'm lost again. Thanks for the help.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It sounds to me like the CDROM drive is working.

Try this:

After you select Start computer with CDROM support

At the A:\> prompt, type in C:

At the C:\> prompt, type in CD WIN98

At the WIN98\> prompt, type in SETUP

If setup starts and runs successfully, do not remove the startup disk until just before the first reboot. When you are prompted to create a startup disk, click "Cancel" and leave it in the drive until just before the first reboot.

7. 1fjef

1fjef Thread Starter

Hi...When I try the C:\> CD WIN98 I receive the message invalid entry. I figure now that the CDROM is drive E: But still no luck, it just doesnt seem to want to read. But What I did try was type E:\>CD WIN98 and then I got a WIN98\>. Then I type SETUP and from there it just seems to hang for a while but for a second I got Please wait while Setup initializes and eventually all I get was the CDR101 message again. It sounds like we did all the right things except this laptop just doesnt want to cooperate. Thanks again , you were a great help.Jef

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

1fjef...

If this were my laptop, I would boot with a boot floppy and try testing the CD-ROM drive, it sounds like the drive may be in need of a cleaning...

Try booting with a boot floppy, insert a data CD ( not the W98 setup cd's for now ) and at the E:\> try copying files to the C:\ ( doesn't matter which files, just try copying some files ), this way we can test the CD-ROM read to see if it works, if it works it may be a problem with the W98 setup OS CD...

9. 1fjef

1fjef Thread Starter

OK Thanks. I tryed blowing out the CD ROM and also tryed to make a copy but both didn't help. I think it's the CDROM not working. I appreciate all the help. Jef

10. 1fjef

1fjef Thread Starter

I actually got it to run the CD after many attempts but so far it would go all the way up to "Copying Windows 98 files to your computer" and then stall and do nothing. File copy progress was 7% and Estimated time remaining 170 minutes. But thats as far as the CDROM would take me and then the CDROM light would go off and I wouldn't hear anything so I think it just stopped. Again sounds like a bad CDROM I am guessing. Thanks again. Jef

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you using an original Windows CD or a copy that was burned off?

You might also try cleaning the CD and making sure there's no fingerprints or smudges on it. Clean it from the center out(like spokes in a bicycle rim) and not in circular motions.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

In addition to cleaning the CD, try using a Q-Tip with some alcohol and clean the lens on the CD-ROM drive...

Sometimes dust will ad-hear to the lens...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice