1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM A22m laptop w/ clicking noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by picosa922, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. picosa922

picosa922 Thread Starter

Hello all, I need your feedback on this one! I have an IBM A22m laptop and about a week ago it started making clicking noises when ever I turned it on, meanwhile the system was trying to boot up and never succesfully did. The clicking woul stop after 45 secs and to boot up just so i could tell me that something was wrong would take about 5 mins. I removed the memory modules and switched out the hard drive (just in case it was the hard drive going out) but still no such luck and the clicking and delay is still there. The OS never boots up. The only features I get are the F1 for set up and F12 to boot from a device. After attempting to reinstall XP, the whole process stalls and says that hard drive cannot be found, press any key to exit. Do any of you all know what it maybe? Could it be the motherboard? Or just a simple connection? Please help me! Thank you all in advance for any info.

the message:

Hard drive not installed.
    If operating system not found,
    re-install hard drive.
    Hit any key to exit.

Pressing any key takes me to a black screen, where the following info repeats over and over:

Intel® Boot Agent Verision 4.0.17
    Copyright © 1997-2001, Intel Corporation
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
    Operating System not found.

Help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like your hard drive bit the dust. That's the "click of death", hope you had it backed up. :eek:

Did this really happen with two hard disks? That seems pretty hard to believe...

3. picosa922

picosa922 Thread Starter

You bet! The other laptop was also an old IBM, previous model that I had. To make things worst the hard drive on the older IBM was larger than the one that messed up! That really sucks! So, it's the hard drive! Great!! Thanks for the info JohnWill.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think I'd take the hard disk(s) and connect them to a desktop computer on the secondary IDE channel and test them. You can use a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Adapter to connect them. This will allow you to function test the hard disks and verify if they're really dead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/612767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice