1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM laptop error codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jluke, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jluke

jluke Thread Starter

when I turned on my IBM thnkpad X31 today, all I get on my screen is:
    error 0271 check date and time settings
    error 1802 Unauthorized network card is plugged in. Power off and remove the miniPCI network card.

I've not plugged in any cards and can't do anything else on the laptop. It's not worth a trip to a repair center, is there anything I can do?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The error regarding the wireless card, were it to stand alone, can be caused by a fault on the card.
    It is my understanding that on those Lenova IBM computers, especially the card must meet certain conditions, before it is approved by the BIOS to allow the boot to continue.

NOTE if the computer does boot to post screen before you see these error messages TRY the BIOS time and date FIRST
    see below

The standard first approach is to remove the wireless card
    I have NOT checked but I feel it is possible that this is realatively easily done by
    1. Remove the battery
    Obviously mains power is disconnected.
    2. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds
    3. Remove usually by two or maybe more VERY small screws a panel on the base of the computer
    ENSURE you do not lose the screws
    4. Remove the card taking care to disconnect the antennae from the VERY small connection onto the card

Replace the cover
    Reboot the computer, that usally clears that error.

HOWEVER now taking account of the other error
    frequently a reset in BIOS may cause it. If you are unlucky it may be a more serious error.

IF you are fortunate it will at worse be a flat CMOS battery

when you have removed the wireless card and if it now proceeds to POST screen
    Press the blue Access IBM button when the message "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button" is displayed to enter the ThinkVantage Productivity Center, then select Start setup utility to open the BIOS Setup Utility

OR
    Press the blue ThinkVantage button when the message "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button " is displayed to enter the ThinkVantage Productivity Center, then select Start setup utility to open the BIOS Setup Utility

OR
    Pressing F1 during startup when the ThinkPad logo is displayed.

I THINK it is the F1 on your computer

Enter BIOS and if you get there put the time and date right on the BIOS screen Save and exit normally but you will have to check F10 or another key combination to save and exit and maybe then key Y to confirm.

NOW try and boot.

3. jluke

jluke Thread Starter

thank you for responding to my question. I removed the panel on the bottom of the laptop and found 2 boards each about 1.25"X2.0", neither has any kind of wire or attached to it. Is the CMOS battery a lithium 2032? If so, the one that is in there registers 1.9v and should be 3.0 volts. I have a batttery, but this one has little paddles attached to each side as conductors, not sure what to do about that. I've tried pushing the "Acess IBM" button, to no avail. thanks for your patience, ancient person here.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Those batteries are cheap and you can get them from most supermarkets, chemists, and WH Smith type shops.
    The other problem will then likely go away.

5. jluke

jluke Thread Starter

thank you, I'll try that first

6. Macboatmaster

The two boards you have found are more than likely the ram
    They will look something like this
    [​IMG]
    The wireless card will undoubtedly have an antennae attached to it which then goes behind the screen of the laptop

It MAY NOT be accessible from the base, is there more than one panel
    The best advice I can give you is to go to the site for the laptop netbook and see if the manual has further details

I thought the CMOS battery on that computer was actually more like the screenshot below, but it MAY have been replaced with the one you see. Can you see the wires connected to what you described as "little paddles"
    Here is the link to download the manual I cannot look for you as there are quite a number of X31 variants and it may just be that one of the variants is a different arrangement to yours

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/default.page?selector=expand

The answer will I think be found in the manual and as to where the wireless mini pci card is- which will look like this
    [​IMG]

However as I said before and my colleague DaveBurnett has also mentioned - I would address the CMOS battery and time and date settings first

Have you checked if you can enter BIOS to set time and date there.
    See my first reply to you

Attached Files:

• 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

8. Macboatmaster

jluke

I wondered how you were progressing with this
    Hope you had a good Xmas

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice